Battery/Alternator question

How much current is likely to be drawn from the battery of my SaxoVts at standby(alarm on). The reason i ask is that my battery was flat today and before i buy another i want to check that something isnt draining it. Also over the last month or so i have noticed that my alternator is making like a fluttery noise at tickover, could it be on its way out and is this likely to be related to the flat battery?

Car is 4 years old and i think its the original battery.

Thanks

Reply to
Rob Kirk

At four years your battery could not last very much longer even if it is ok at the moment. Go to any car shop or quick fit type place, they will test your battery and charging system in just a few minutes, usually without any cost.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Hmm, best not tell the L reg nissan micra sat on the drive right now with it's origional battery on it, it's just clicked over 70k miles, took so long to do that as they are all round town miles, to the shops and back.. about a

4 mile journey, and the odd 50 mile run every now and then. yet she's never been jump started, been on a charger, or even needed any water in the battery in those 10 years, mind, it's still on it's origional alternator belt, i changed the water pump belt at 50k just for peace of mind, she did have to have a new clutch at 30k miles tho' blame all the trafic lights in town that are never in sequence for that :) also had the blower motor resistor pack die at 65k miles, 20 quid, and 2 mins with a screwdriver later that was sorted.

Now, if we were to mention the piece of crap orion we had, or the mondaeo it'd be a different story, ford dosent stand for Fix Or Repair Daily for no reason you know :)

Reply to
CampinGazz

Me too!

The '96 Micra in the drive with 39k on still has has its original battery, and pretty much everything else too... something Japanese is looking very tempting as the next big family(/'first') car.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Hi Rob,

Since the alternator and battery work together, you need to have both tested. Accounding to BCI, the average life of a car battery is four years, but batteries tend to last longer in colder climates like the UK unless they are abused with deep discharges or poor maintenance. For more information on parasitic loads and testing, please see Section 10 in the FAQ on

For more information on battery testing, please see Section 4 and charging Section 9.

Kindest regards,

BiLL.......

Reply to
Bill Darden