Battery charger at Lidl

My local branch in Tooting has these for 13 quid. Small and light SMPS type which can do 6 or 12 volts, all types of lead acid including SLA gel types, pulse charge for attempted recovery of deep discharge, and a maintenance charge so it can be left on indefinitely. Peak output is just under 4 amps, so it should also be able to start a car ok after an overnight charge. 3 year warranty.

Has fixing holes, so it might be suitable for permanent fixing in a little used car, with some form of mains inlet mounted under the bumper, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is it about 2 inches high, half an inch depth, and 5 inches wide? I bought something that sounds suspiciously similar from Lidl recently. It's really good in fact, and has far surpassed more expensive consumer chargers I've had in the past.

Reply to
David R

Thought it was recommended these days to remove the battery from the vehicle when using a charger. No?

Reply to
Lofty.

Arse covering by the marketting department.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

All sorts of things are 'recommended' Doesn't make them so, though. Or perhaps it's best to remove the battery while the car's own alternator is charging it? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Talking of arse covering, I have a Ctek switched mode 3 stage charger (sounds similar to the Lidl one but cost me a load more than 13 quid!) and when you switch the mains on the the unit, it tells you to, and I quote, "Always use safety goggles and turn your face away from the battery when turning it on and off".

Now we all wear safety goggles when we turn our battery chargers on... don't we???

Reply to
BobC

It's all wonderful advice and would avoid 0.000000000001% of the accidents involving batteries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If I've been using a winch with it, you bet I do!

You only need to see one battery explode a cell. If you're lucky you get to see more than one.

There aren't many conditions that will cause a battery to explode. But if it's likely to be in one, and I'm going to make sparks around it, then yes I'm careful of the things bursting. Doubly so if the cells are glass - then I'd use the blast shield that's already on the front of our battery rack.

Year ago I worked for BT. Anyone else rememebr the course on battery charging? Lots of exciting photos about how to smear yourself over the scenery...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Of course they can be dangerous things, but in a car far more likely caused by shorting a spanner across them or to ground. Connecting and disconnecting a charger isn't high up the list - unless in very badly vented premises. The real danger spot was battery rooms in garages etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A spark's a spark. If you've already got plenty of flammable mixture around (the think that changes the hazard), then a small spark from a charger is just as capable of igniting it as some gross gorrillation with a spanner across the posts.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "BobC" saying something like:

Maybe the battery's shy and only like to get charged in the dark.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yep, the don't wear rings or metal watch straps piccys.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you're facing away from the battery, presumably the goggles are there to give the exploding acid a chance to be caught in the goggles and blind you...

Reply to
David Taylor