battery drain current - when all is Off

Mother I law's VW battery is struggling to start her golf and just about turns the engine over (even after charging). I think the battery needs replacing. She told me "the garage put a new battery in only 6 months ago". Checked the battery and it's an *old* battery. Even the cell covers have been chewed up and it obviously much more than 6 months old. Check the bills she was given and all it says is "fitted heavy duty battery". Well, yes they did do that - and for only £60 too. She can't face making a fuss with garage so I'll just buy a new battery. I do have a question though ... :-)

The battery drain is 150mA with everything turned off. That seems a bit high for just whatever electonics is still powered up? No lights on in boot etc etc. Is that current usual for an "off" state? thx

Reply to
dave

I would expect less than a third of this.

BTW, I don't think your MIL should allow her garage to get away with something. If she has a gripe she should at the very least mention it. Complaints don't have to be delivered with venom. Just a mention and then let it develop would be the preferred approach.

Rob Graham

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

What year/model of Golf?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yes I thought it was a bit high too - but apart from boot lights stuck on I don't really know what could be taking that power.

Yes I suppose you are right. We live many hours drive away from her and she's getting on a bit now, doesn't know anything about cars and can't really cope with it. I just wanted to be as sure as possible that a new (quality) battery might fix the problem. The 150mA is giving me 2nd thoughts though. Will go and measure the current on a humble Micra I have access to...

Reply to
dave

that drain is the equal of a very small bulb left on (1.5w) Generally the drain should be less than about 30 ma. Badly fitted radios are a common cause of a drain. You can try pulling each fuse in turn to isolate the circuit, if no joy then try disconnecting the alternator, they sometimes pull current, and just once I came across a starter that did too, that took some finding!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well you'll get nearly a fortnight out of a new battery. Pull the fuses one at a time till you find which one's draining it, if it's still leaking try unplugging the alternator.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Well funny you should say that because the same garage as in my OP had (only 2 weeks ago) fitted a brand new alternator! We visited MIL at the weekend which is when I was able to take a look at things. The alternator certainly is bright a new looking and belt tension and leads all seem in order. However, returning to the battery thing, it may well be then that this current drain was the trouble all the time. If so, a kind of expensive solution they chose.

I just checked a perfectly-formed Micra (:-)) - current used is only

4mA. Well, compared to that the 150mA is a pretty beefy drain. Ta again for the things to check - will do so when I can.

btw the car is VW Golf CL

1598 CC 1996
Reply to
dave

I have replaced the batteries in both my cars recently and before doing so I measured the quiescent current drain as follows:

02 Focus TDCI : .03-.04 A ( 30-40mA) 97 306 D .06 A

The Pug. refused to start after 3 or 4 days so I had no choice !The Focus struggled to start in this cold weather, so since it was on its original battery I had it tested by a shop. They used a digital tester which measured the CA at 100A below rated .

I think batteries last longer than their rated AH rating at this sort of drain rate but 150mA does seem high. If you can't find any problems, then I would have the battery tested at a shop and possibly replaced. Did you get a gaurentee from the garage ?

I was googling to find out about these digital 'internal resistance' testers last night, any one know how they work ?

Reply to
mr p

At a rough guess: From teaching physics you calculate internal resistance by calculating the current through a fixed resistance then extrapolating that to work out the voltage drop across the IR. I'm guessing that it digitally simulates that process.

Reply to
asahartz

Except they do it at different frequencys & currents etc. & then play with a bit of fuzzy logic to guess at the size of battery & state of charge.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , Duncan Wood writes

Clint Sharp