Battery light didn't come on - Rover 214

Hello (again!) all.

What is the significance of the battery light on the dashboard of my N-Reg old-shape Rover 214Si?

I drove it to Waitrose today and after plonking shopping in the boot I turned the key to the 2 position and the oil light and handbrake light illuminated as normal, but the battery light did not. I turned the ignition to 0 for 10 secs then put it to 2, and the battery light wasn't on, but the usual others were. I turned it to 3 and it started as normal.

After driving to another supermarket to grab something else I got back in and turned the key to 2 and the battery light came on with the other 2.

I don't recall the battery light ever neglecting to turn on in the past, but could this signify anything I should take note of?

I've got a battery charger sitting downstairs somewhere (but it's just the hassle of getting it out if I don't need to worry about it) - I took the car for a 400 mile (one tank) drive around France yesterday and it performed very well and has had a new lead set, etc, fitted a few weeks ago.

Does it sound like a warning to you, or just a funny moment?

Thank to all my little helpers!

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

'Funny moments' are often symptomatic of a loose connection. Worth a check, particularly the alternator end, as the wiring there has a much harder life than that behind the instruments.

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu