battery warning light

hello, the battery warning light comes on when my wife starts her 96 fiat cinquecento and stays on for all the journey, car starts fine and radio, lights heater etc are working fine, (her journey to work and back is only about 40 mins total,) battery seems newish but someone in work told me it could be a problem with the altenator?

any ideas

tia

Reply to
psy93

It's very probably the alternator. It certainly wants testing. If it's only just short of 12v when the engine's running, it could last some time with a decent battery, but not forever.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

ta for that

just had a buddy mechanic look at it and he reckons its the "brushes on the altenator"??? he'll replace them or else just put in a second hand alternator depending on cost, dont want to put too much money into the car, will be gettin rid after xmas

Reply to
psy93