Bedding new shoes in

I changed the rear discs and handbrake shoes on my Volvo at the weekend. The discs were badly corroded and the shoes were starting to de-laminate.

Since completing the job, I have found that a much greater effort on the handbrake is required to hold the car stationary. I have degreased the discs and set the shoe adjusters correctly. The cable is adjusted just to the point where all the slack is gone. As before, the shoes start to bite on the first notch of the ratchet, but whereas before it would hold firm with 3-4 clicks, I now have to pull harder and apply 6-8 clicks to get the same effect.

I assume that this loss of friction is due to the fact that the new parts are not bedded in? The old shoe linings were smooth and shiny; the new (Mintex) ones are comparatively rough and pale. As the shoes do not normally make firm contact, unless the car is stationary, is it acceptable to apply the handbrake gently (i.e. a single tooth) for a few miles, to accelerate the bedding in process?

Reply to
Stu

I would say yes. But you'll get some heat generated - how much will depend on the speed you are going and how hard the brake is applied. So I wouldn't go too far or too fast in one go.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Reply to
Mindwipe

"Mindwipe" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Reply to
Stu

"Rob graham" wrote in news:dui836$7fo$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

Good point. Perhaps it would be better to apply the handbrake harder, but intermittently, in similar fashion to a wheel brake?

Reply to
Stu

If, and it's a big if, bedding in is the problem then three or four pulls of the handbrake while moving fairly slowly will do the job. It sounds more like the setup of the shoes to me. I would check them again.

Reply to
gazzafield

Yup. Documented in my BMW driver's handbook.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Thanks, Dave. I'm starting to get more grip, now.

Reply to
Stu

Sorry to come late to this one. I did exactly the same with my Volvos with the rear disc/drum setup. Felt awful when just fitted. I found using the handbrake to stop gently a few times instead of the footbrake bedded them in. Burns off whatever is on the inside of the drums and the top layer of the shoes, I presume.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

In fact, I've just remembered my rear disc/drum replacements came with a sticker to clean the surfaces with alcohol before fitting them. I did clean them with something, can't remember what though. I wasn't going to waste a bottle of whisky anyway.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

;-)

Petrol is usually the cheapest thing to hand for this sort of thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is what is documented in *my* BMW handbooks.

Reply to
adder1969

"Stuart Gray" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

I degreased the disks with brake cleaner. I think the main problem was with the shoes, as the friction material had a rough surface. I think that this was causing a much smaller surface area to make contact with the disc. They're bedding in nicely, now :-)

Reply to
Stu