Beeping reversing lights?

Someone told me yesterday that you can get reversing light blubs that have a beeper fitted; apparently they might be fitted to some vans, so they warn others that you are reversing (just incase they can't see the lights..).

Is it true? Where can you get them?

Reply to
Phil Howard

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:03:08 +0100, Phil Howard wrote (in message ):

I don't think it is actually in the bulb. However a lot of council vehicles and HGVs have them fitted as an audible warning. Unfortunately I don't know where you can get them.

Reply to
Peter anon

See

though I'm more used to the bleeping-bit being built into the light-fitting itself.

Reply to
PJML

Peter anon mumbled:

Yes it is! You can get bulbs with a beeper built in. I've seen 'em at disability roadshows. Presumeably they're supposed to exempt the driver from taking proper rear observation!

though the picture appears broken.

Guy King

You can also get a sticky patch which goes on the outside of the reversing lamp, when the light goes on , the patch bleeps ! about 5 pounds a go as I recall.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:47:44 +0100, Guy King wrote (in message ):

I stand corrected. Apology to the original poster. And, thank you for the information.

Reply to
Peter anon

I want one that doesn't bleep though, I want it to say 'Warning!! Woman reversing' ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

Or 'get outta my way!!!' In fact, you could couple this with the beeps:

'Get outta my *beep* way! Get outta my *beep* way!'

Pete

Reply to
PM

Or for the woman to listen to ' There's a post, there's a post'

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

"Funkyman" mumbled:

Nah, you don't need one. You'll hear about it soon enough anway.

Reply to
Guy King

Hi Dave,

It would probably be on all the time then! Better to have one to warn us all that they're attempting to drive.

Reply to
Geoff

Hello,

Absolutely right, I suggested for years that a relative get an automatic Volvo if he really must drive one, his clutch used to go all the time and he just couldn't understand why. His doctor also passed him as fit to drive when he had cataracts (spelling!). I don't see why insurance companies don't insist on an eye test when you take out a policy, or some sort of reaction test. The number of red lights he used to go through was terrible. He thought a disabled badge entitled him to park ANYWHERE just because he was in the war! It was a sort of "I will do that" just because I think I can type attitude. Old people are probably more of a danger than boy racers. They are slow, get confused, forget they're driving and are unaware of their surroundings most of the time from what I have seen. Only a few weeks ago I watched what I thought was a drunk driver swerving from one side of the A41 to the other. I stayed back incase the car crashed. At traffic lights I stopped alongside and took off as soon as they changed, then watched in my mirror as she bounced off the pavement a few times. She was about 130 years old. Never mind banning mobile phones, ban people who can't drive!

Reply to
Geoff

Why not add blacks asians and women to your prejudices? Or indeed anyone not called Geoff?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

True. I have on a couple of occasions when I have had the stereo up loud looked down at the rev counter and thought 'whoops'

Reply to
Nervous O'Toole

I think you will find that reverse bleepers are illegal on private vehicles under a certain weight.

Dave

Reply to
dave roberts

A blanket ban is unlikely. However it is illegal to use bleepers between 11pm and 7:30am,

- covered by the same rules which ban the non-emergency use of horns during the same time.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon