before emptying the oil out of the engine

Make sure that the bonnet catch is working...

Reply to
johannes

It would be quite feasible (and messy) to squirt it back in and put the plug in quick.

Reply to
MrCheerful

From underneath? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I always wondered what can be done if the wire to the catch breaks? This is bound to happen sooner or later on an old car.

Reply to
johannes

Why not? You would need a squirter that could be held against the drain hole, pump the oil in, then quickly remove the squirter and put the plug back in. A couple of litres would be enough to get oil pressure to drive to a suitable place to get the bonnet catch problem sorted. Bob's your Aunty. Or, on some engines there is an accessible breather you could put some oil back in through.

Reply to
MrCheerful

And before refilling it, make sure the sump plug is in place.

Reply to
Davey

Leave the plug on a piece of rag on the drivers seat.

Reply to
Berty Blenkinsop

how would that stop you pouring oil in?

Reply to
MrCheerful

If I'm working on the engine, I'm unlikely to be in the driver's seat!

Reply to
Davey

En el artículo , MrCheerful escribió:

Wouldn't anyone with half a functioning brain cell lift the bonnet and take the filler cap off first, before taking the sump plug out?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Since when has a full load of brain cells been a pre-requisite for someone working on cars?

There have been several cases where a Prius has had the oil dropped out and then the engine has started itself, wrecking the engine before discovery/stopping it.

Reply to
MrCheerful

But why? Sure it may help the drain, but not that big difference.

Reply to
johannes

I automatically open the bonnet of any car I am doing an oil change on simply because it gives a bit more light to the underside to see what I'm doing.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I do too but I can imagine one day, in a hurry, I might just crawl straight underneath with the tray and a wrench.

Reply to
Scott M

Yup. I also tend to change the filter before draining the oil. From long experience of Rover V8s where you want the oil pump working again ASAP.

(If you leave it drained down for some time, there's a slight possibility the pump won't self prime)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

we used to remove the distributor and wind the pump with a drill

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yes. But to avoid having to reset the timing, you can take the end cover off the pump and pack with Vaselene. Just be careful not to let the guts fall out. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , MrCheerful escribió:

I didn't say that. I suggested removing the filler cap before dropping the sump plug is a good idea, as it allows the oil to flow out more freely.

Common sense is a pre-requisite for working on cars.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

But the old advice is to fill fresh oil into the new filter before mounting it.

Reply to
johannes

It would stop you driving off with an empty sump. :-)

Reply to
Gordon H