Belt Change cost

How much should a garage charge me to change the timing belt on a 93 Escort (Orion effectively). I still have a few thousand miles before I

*think* it is due, but the records are a bit haxy from just before we bought it. Reading the Haynes BOL, it seems a fairly straightforward one, but I'm not going to do it due to lack of time.

I'd rather have the peace of mind of knowing the job's been done and I'm not likely to be pushing cylinders through valves ;)

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

£50-£60-ish at non dealer.
Reply to
Conor

I doubt you'd find it straightforward. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

45 quid plus belt and if needed tensioner so less than 100 all in

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In which case, surely it would be cheaper to buy another with the belt already done? ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

*g* Not quite. The car's probably worth somewhere around =A3500-800 given= =20 that the tank's full and it's had expensive stuff replaced already. Less=20 than =A3100 to help keep it going for a couple of extra years while I do= =20 the less complex stuff will be fine. Thanks to all for the price guides.=20 I'll make some calls next week and find a resonable price based on your=20 estimates. I will, of course, be sticking to independants and hoping to=20 find a place like the one in I used near Weybridge when I lived down=20 there and came highly commended by everybody in the village.

One of those problems with moving around the country is having to re- find the best places to go for stuff like this. Took me two years to=20 find the farmer's markets and the stalls I like to buy from, 18 months=20 to find a really good butcher etc.. I don't work *in* town and all of=20 the office guys live in Northants so their recommendations involve=20 driving 30-40 miles. I'll find a good garage eventually. On the plus=20 side, life is much more relaxed now I'm not in the commuter belt.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

Lol.

Halve that and your valuation will be a bit closer to reality.

Reply to
SteveH