Berlingo bumper.

The garage have quoted £600 to replace the front bumper (Multispace Forte 1.9D "sahara gold", '03), which has had a low-speed crunch. This seems a lot. I can get one for £100, delivered. Are they "user fittable"? What about painting, I guess this is a garage/bodyshop job, is it 'spensive? I'd have a go, but I don't think I'd produce a first-rate spray job! This is a question on behalf of a relative; the garage price is at least four times what my car's worth!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Ah, that's the trouble with modern motors, innit. I don't know why people buy cars that cost so much to fix then complain how much they cost! I also resent the vast cost of insurance which is inflated by how expensive modern cars are to fix.

Sorry - that wasn't a dig at you personally but this sort of expense is getting more common not less.

Reply to
Guy King

It's modern construction techniques, metallic paint/... hasn't helped.

I do wonder what a car made for true minimum cost of ownership would look like.

Including fuel, insurance, routine repairs over 5 years, average damage over 5 years, ...

Some problems are obvious - body coloured bumpers et al, meaning that all minor impacts need repainted,

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I know. I boggle at the price...

No problem. It's *absolutely ridicluous*.

Don't know anything about spraying plastic bumpers, do you? The old boy whose car it is is feeling a bit faint... it's probably

10% of the car value!
Reply to
Chris Bacon

You're being quoted the insurance cost using genuine parts.

A bumper will set you back around £200 to get it painted and fitted by a local bodyshop so all you have to do is source your own. If you get one from a scrappies, try to get a non metallic colour as its easier to spray over.

Reply to
Conor

Relatively easy to fit.

If it were me I'd fit them unpainted, as per the Berlingo van, and save money.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Reply to