BEST 2 LITRE(ish) PLODDER DIESEL .... ?? for an old plodder

BEST 2 LITRE(ish) PLODDER DIESEL .... ?? Any lovers of yr basic plodder diesel around ....? ...... fitted across a range of cars, it's said that the peugeot 1.9 diesel is one of the most sturdy and unbreakable diesel engines around (in that size range) .... ?? if that is so why do we keep hearing of all the head gasket probs to do with it ...? is it because it was once a 1.5 or 1.7 litre and instead of developing a new engine they just bored it out .... ? thereby reducing the distance between the cyls ..? I am looking for an absolutely basic 5 to 7 year old diesel car in the

2 litre range .... definitely not turbo, definitely got to be a boring and as simple as possible A to B'er.... Citroen Xara 1.9D perhaps ...? ... So ? ... any ideas on your best-last-forever boring 2 litreISH diesel engine ... (gasket problems are the absolute pits, mostly insoluble once started on the peugeot - cyl deformation as well as the head) so perhaps not the peugeot .......? .... (you always get the same excuse ...."well that's strange for a Peugeot 1.9 .... all I can think is he's been thrashing it .... it you do that you wreck any engine !")

---------o0o------------- PS .... been looking on the Automart site and I can't get it to work for me ..? Unlike autotrader site (useless .... dealer cars and I want private .... the sort that USED to advertise in the local papers) it has a range facility. You put your post code in that field ... tho' it only takes the first bit (i.e. BB12 ...I am prepared to go up to 20 mile) .... so that facility is OK (if it works ?). But the two drop down boxes to the left (make and model) don't drop down .... and the page keeps coming back telling me to fill the fields in .... well I can't if it won't let me !! Maybe it is because I am still on WIN 98 ... and the page is too big .... still it does Ryanair and that's big ! Any ideas please ..? cheers ......alec

Reply to
alecalgo

Toyota avensis diesel.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I wouldn't worry about HG problems on a XUD (the peugeot 1.7/1.9 you're talking about), especially a non-turbo one. I've got one at the moment and had two previously, and know many people with cars with the same engines, and heard of no HG failures.

(the two terminal failures I know of were a crank pulley falling off and a swirl chamber dropping out)

Of course if you let the water out you may get problems - overheating is probably bad for them.

I don't think they did that. One of the very first applications was in the BX, and AFAIK that always had both engine sizes (1769 and 1905cc). (dunno about the 2.1 version though)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I nearly developed epillepsy reading this post.

My direct family has had a string of 1.7 and 1.9 Peugeot Diesels. They have all gone on to do reasonably high miles (more than 150k) with no head gasket issues. In fact, the engines have given no issues whatsoever and nobody I know who has owned one has had engine problems either.

I'm not sure where the head gasket reputation comes from, but I know that they are quite hard on their cooling systems and if they are neglected can easily overheat. Make sure you check the coolant level and condition regularly and it'll probably be fine.

My current daily transport is a 1998 157k mile 1.9 non turbo Diesel 306 Estate and apart from regular maintainence, the only issue we've had is that it will need it's first replacement clutch soon. It's not fast and it's not pretty but I have confidence in it.

The 1.9 is a stroked version of the 1.7 IIRC. The 1.4 and 1.5 Diesel as used in smaller Peugeots/Citroens engines are of a rather different design.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Try using the Autotrader site properly. It has a search facility which allows you to choose between dealers and private cars (or both) it also has the "range facility" you're impressed by. All you need to do is register for free.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@madasafish.com" contains these words:

I like my 2.5 5-cyl Audi engine. Very unhurried.

Reply to
Guy King

On 8 Jul 2006 04:42:38 -0700, I waved a wand and this message magically appeared from snipped-for-privacy@madasafish.com:

Audi A3/A4 or VW Golf/Polo.

Reply to
Alex Buell

I owned a 1.9 Citroen BX diesel way before the 1.7 was launched.

Reply to
Woof

Skoda Felicia 1.9D?

Reply to
Nick Dobb

According to my tame Citroen indy, the 1.9 can be a bastard to bleed properly if the cooling system has to be drained for any reason, this leads to air pockets and hotspots in the head and usually leads to gasket failure. As long as they are bled properly, there isn't a head gasket issue...

My last 3 cars have been Citroen 1.9TDs, I've done 140K + in them with no engine or gearbox problems, and I would not say I am mechanically sympathetic to them.. ;-)

Get a late model ZX 1.9TD, cheaps as chips, reliable and comfortable. Nippier than you'd expect, top out at around 118 (GPS!) , over 50mpg at sensible speeds and handle nicely too.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Sounds likely. I did however drain my 1.9 BX more than once, and had a regular leak for a while - I didn't have much problem bleeding it then. (Obviously it's not a turbo. Got to > 220K before the body expired (old crash repairs finally giving up) - the engine still starts pretty well).

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Only if you're clueless. You need a header tank but a 2L pop bottle will do the job.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

On alot of XUD instalations (ZX, 306 etc) the only proper way to safely refill the cooling system is with a sawn off upside down coke bottle, as stupidly the expansion tank is *lower* that the head!

Make sure you open *both bleeders too, there's one around the back of the engine often ignored and final bleeding is done with the engine at a fast tickover.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Primula 2.0d ?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Or just let it get up to temperature, then take the bleed cap off and let the pressure do the job for you. Works for me.

Reply to
Nick Dobb