Best car battery (& solar charger) for infrequent use.

I'm needing a new car battery. Which is the best type and brand? My car (a Primera 1.6Si) is parked up for 6-8 weeks on end so low self-discharge of the battery is a must as is repeated recovery from discharge. I'd really prefer not to use a Bosch or a Varta.

I had a solar charger plugged in it was only 1W so perhaps I need a bigger solar charger too. Anyone recommend one of them too - a good one at a decent price?

Someone can crank over the engine once a week or so but they often forget.

The battery tray is 280mm *190mm.

TYHe rate of discharge is controlled by whatever is doing the draining. THe amount the battery loses is negligble if it is in good order.

Have you ever considered disconnecting the battery when you are away?

Reply to
Conor

Any battery should be fine, except if you've told someone to crank the engine over occasionally, thus draining the battery (and not doing the engine much good either)

Reply to
Woof

All lead acid batteries have a very low self discharge rate. But what the car electrics take when parked up is a different matter. And no lead acid likes being deeply discharged, so this is best avoided.

The limiting factor is the size needed for a meaningful charge on a dull day. And the cost, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depending on the amount of direct sunlight, a 5W panel which produces

350 ma should keep your battery charged. Using your 1W panel (71 ma) might work if you disconnect the battery, keep it below 25 degrees C and if there is enough direct sunlight. If you have access to AC power, a better solution and less expensive solution would be a small "smart" charger. Car battery with the lowest self-discharge in order is an AGM VRLA, gel cell VRLA, wet "Maintenance Free", wet "Low Maintenance" and finally wet standard.

Kindest regards,

BiLL.......

Kindest regards,

Reply to
Bill Darden

I'd say the differences between these would be marginal? Any lead acid should have little self discharge - and a drop in the ocean compared to the quiescent current requirements of the vehicle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)