Big cat hunting..

My 2010 reg Jaguar XF 3.0L diesel will, occasionally, after a hot start "hunt" rather than idle smoothly. It's always terminated by a blip of the throttle but if I should happen to drive off at idle you can feel the power surging. The revs may oscillate about once a second 100 rpm or so either side of the regular idle speed.

It only seems to happen when the engines been off for 3 or 4 minutes or so (like after refuelling). If I leave it longer (say 15 minutes) it doesn't happen and if I restart after just one minute it doesn't happen either.

It's going into the garage on Friday but in the absence of any engine management warning I'm not hopeful of them diagnosing anything.

Any suggestions as to cause that I could suggest to the garage?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

As somebody who was brought up in the era of E-Types and such, I still have a problem with the concept of 'Jaguar' and 'diesel' being used in the same sentence.

Oh well, that's progress.

Reply to
Davey

Yeah, I know. Just seems all wrong. That said, the engine really does make quite a nice noise (something I never thought a diesel could do) and it goes quite well too.

I'm getting a bit pee'd off with the way that petrol options seem to be disappearing, just when we're all waking up to the polluting effects of even the "cleanest" diesels.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Managed to film it today.