Bizarre Fiesta Engine Behaviour

hello,

I would hardly call a fiesta a "girlie" car! They are good for what they are, I searched for a decent 1.6 and give up because they were either stolen recovered or crashed previously, and the insurance was far too high compared to any other make of car with a 1.6. A girlie car is something like a Clio or KA. Tell her to stop putting her foot down so hard on the accelerator.

Reply to
Geoff

Evenin' All.

Wondered if anyone could shed any light on a problem with a friend's 1996 (P Reg) Fiesta 1.3 'Encore'. It's the base model of the previous model shape - a bit of a girlie car, but then, she is a girl... I believe that the engine is the 1.3 HCS unit, not the decent Zetec engine, unfortunately...

She tells me that when the clutch is depressed as she comes to a halt, the engine raises the revs for a while- eventually the revs settle back down. But basically, when she comes off the power, the engine decides that it's having none of it, and brings on the revs...! Apparently this happens even with the clutch engaged, which sounds dangerous.

My first thoughts were: Engine Management / Sensor fault; go to the Ford Dealer and get 'em to plug in the FDS2000.

But I know this is expensive, and we're talking a Fiesta Heap here (I'm a Mondeo Man - much better cars! :)

Any ideas? Maybe the MAP Sensor. Or the idle speed control valve (if there is one?)

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
Alan Dempster

It depends how high the revs go.

My Mondeo raises the revs to around 1100rpm if you press the clutch, but are still moving. As soon as you stop, the revs drop.

This is perfectly normal.

If they're "2000rpm" high, then this is a shade too high :-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Check the throttle position sensor (TPS) bolted to the side of the carb..its a red thing with wires coming out.

I'd also recommend cleaning all the sensor/ecu connectors with some sort of contact cleaner while you are at it.

sPoNiX

Reply to
Anonymous