bleedin brakes!

Is it possible / practical to just clamp the flexible lines near the caliper when removing the calipers for servicing? (I am changing the disks, and servicing the callipers at same time) I don't really want to mess about bleeding the system afterwards. The lines are metal braided affairs, and could I use a screwclamp? TY

PS.. TY to all who responded to my post re: electric fuel pump / evaporating fuel J

Reply to
Tim Mackey

It's difficult to clamp metal braided pipes, normally I plug the ends. If you service the calipers then they'll have air in them which will need bleeding anyway, if you're just changing the pads & cleaning the sliders then you don't need to disconnect the pipes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You do know that you should bleed every couple of years anyway, right? If you're bothering to change disks and lube calipers, a system bleed is a good idea anyway.

Reply to
Grunff

You will need to bleed the brakes at least partially. Also you can't really clamp braided hose without damaging them -- one of the reasons they aren't a good idea on a road car. However you can reduce fluid loss and air getting into the system by filling the master cylinder resevoir right up to the brim and seeling he open top by stretching a bit of polyethene bag over the opebn top and hold it tightly sealed around the rims with a coulpe of rubber bands. you may also seal the open end of the pipe with a suitable bolt or cap nut depending on the fittling.

If you are not sure how to do a very basic thing bleed brakes perhaps you should leave the job to the pros

Reply to
AWM

Reply to
Tim Mackey

no

Reply to
dojj

Don't you mean change the fluid every couple of years?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yeah - sorry - tend to use the two interchangeably since whenever I'm going any brake plumbing work (anything that requires disconnecting brake bits) I always change the fluid, and also obviously bleed.

Reply to
Grunff