Bleeding Fuel System, Diesel

Diesel Berlingo Van 1.9 engine (not HDI)

How do I bleed the fuel system ?

Reply to
Stuart

Check the manual?

Unless the system is dry from running out of fuel for instance, I dont normally bother to open the vent screw- just fill the new filter with as much fuel as you can, install, then pump the rubber bellows until it goes hard, then spin the motor on the starter. It will require a burst of cranking and may die acouple of times, but they usually self bleed pretty easily.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Do all cars have the rubber bellows you mention? I asked a local mechanic about priming, and he told me to pump the rubber bellows. But I couldn't see one on the Corsa diesel I was working on, and Haynes doesn't mention it - it just says to give a couple of 10-sec. bursts of turn-over. That worked for me. (I'd put as much fuel un the new filter as I could, 'cos that seemed to be a good idea).

Reply to
DB.

The vast majority of diesels will self bleed..

Reply to
SimonJ

The 1.7D doesn't, but then even if it has run dry, or the fuel system has been to bits, it usually fires after a moment or two of cranking....

Make sure you fill the filter with fuel first.. :)

tom

Reply to
Tom Burton