Blocked washer jets. Viakal any use? (2023 Update)

Hi.

Janets 1999 CR-V has blocked washer jets but the old pin remedy is doing nothing. I have just put them is a small container of neat Viakal descaler but it's quite viscous so I don't know if it will flow into the depths of the jets. Do you think that this will make a difference? What else would you recommend? New jets, obviously...

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

I use my little ultrasonic cleaner.

Reply to
SteveH

Ooooh, sounds like a toy I might like to buy...

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Wrong group.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It happens that Mike Barnard formulated :

Are you certain it is only the jets which are blocked? Sometimes the pipes, filter and bottle can choke up with that horrible jelly like growth. Clean all that out first, before blaming the jets.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A very long soak in the Harpic toilet limescale remover did wonders for our shower head, and might do the trick for you?

Reply to
john watkins

Any decent garage has a set of little wire things that are inserted into the jets. Pop in and ask if he can clean the jets for you. Otherwise, it is the angle grinder.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

In case anyone is interested, after 15 hours soaking in Vaikal nothng changed. Oh well.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

However you fix the problem the way to avoid a recurrence is to use a proper screenwash additive. Washing up liquid etc causes various bacterial gunge to accumulate, hence the blocked jets.

Reply to
David A Stocks
[...]

Presumably that would only have helped if the blockage was limescale?

Have you tried blowing it through with an airline?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I only ever use proper additive - and have often got problems with blocked jets on one car. And looking at them, it appears to be the hard water causing the problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, I haven't. I'll give it a go.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

We always have a 50% (ish) mix of water and Halfords blue additive. The water round here is very hard though.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Does water come through the pipes with the jets removed ?

Gray

Reply to
Graham2

Yes, in floods. It's the jets not the pump, fuse, filter or piping. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

You might be able to get one from a scrapyard for a pound or so. Worked for me when descaler and an ultrasonic bath did nothing useful. It may incorporate a one-way valve which has turned into a no-way valve. Don't forget to secure the tube to the washer jet with something like a cable tie, or it /will/ come off.

Reply to
Andrew Morton

Yes indeed; in my experience the problem is usually biological activity, nothing to do with limescale.

Reply to
Newshound

Why not buy a couple of new ones. They should only be a couple of quid each unless they are heated.

Reply to
rp

I bought one of these. Perfect. I had to grate lots of scale from inside the jets, but they're fine now.

Reply to
Mike Barnard