Blue Subaru = Gold hub caps

Why? Just why? Went all the way from the south of england to scotland and I saw about 6-7 different blue subarus with customised gold hub caps and spoilers - what is it with these people?

Reply to
<nospam

( snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

"hub caps"? You mean gold alloys.

You've been living a very sheltered existence. It's one of the standard (and most common, in several senses of the word) WRX colour schemes.

Adrian

Yeah whatever - its all the same to me.

Uggch. Yep that's the ones - is it just me or does it just look really really naff? I can't see why people bother to do up their cars to the point that the trimmings cost more than the car in the first place. Do up your house - fine - it adds value - but just what is the point of all of this?

Reply to
<nospam

( snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You're not in the first flush of youth, are you?

You misunderstand. That's how they came from the dealer.

Reply to
Adrian

You appear to need sat nav just to give you a clue where the actual point is, so I'll attempt to make it somewhat clearer.

Subaru WRC cars (World rally championship) are sponsored by a cigarette company called "555", 555's colours are blue and gold. Subaru have won the WRC a few times, and the winning cars have been in 555's colours. This means that rather a lot of people want a Subaru that looks a bit like the ones that compete in the WRC - which are blue and gold.

This may have slipped your notice as it's only been happening on a large scale since around 1991.

Reply to
Pete M

That's the colour the rally cars were done in. They buy a WRX because they are rally driver wannabes. They want them to look the same as the rally cars.

Customising a car can be a lot of fun if that's what it's for - a custom show car. But not for a daily driver. That's just sad.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Doesn't make it any less ugly, just a tad less forgivable.

Reply to
Guy King

It's rally colours, therefore it is great.

Reply to
Doki

Do you have one?

Reply to
<nospam

- what is it with these people?

What is it with people who just want to moan about other peoples personal choices? What difference does it make to you?

And no i dont own a subaru, but I do own another rally homologation car. I think you're mistakenly confusing boy racer cars (cheapo runarounds with no real power or herritage) with neons and alloys with the cars they are trying to emulate. But since you dont care what other people think (as demonstrated already) you wont care about my reply.

Coyoteboy

C'mon dude, it was clearly a poor troll, probably about to post the barryboys website address. I fail to beleive that anyone that subscribed to a car news group didn't know that Scooby WRXs often have gold rims from the factory.

Reply to
DanTXD

And are the official colours of the WRC team.

Just like the Deltas which could be bought with Martini stripes, or the monstrosity of a Corolla a few years ago compelte with Castrol stripes. (I know someone who has one..... he has an excuse though, his dad owns a Toyota franchise)

Reply to
SteveH

'Please do not feed the troll'

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Doesn't stop them being chav-done-good-mobiles.

The stripes would come off easily, I'm sure.

Which would still leave him with a white Corolla.

Nope, no excuse whatsoever.

Reply to
Adrian

Looks great doesn't it?

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

(petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No.

Reply to
Adrian

I saw one last week that *must* have been a poverty spec one, tarted up.

It had wheels that wouldn't look out of place on a 2CV, and the body kit had a "cheap arse clone" look about it. Poorly fitting, too big wheel arches etc.

It still had the WRX badge on the back, but seemed to be strugging.

Do they do a 1300 Subaru? ;-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I fall for them every time. I cant help it. Im so easily baited. I hang my head in shame! Sorry all.

Coyoteboy

Indeed, the Subaru FF1 Sports from the 60's was 1300cc.

It had quite a lot of innovative engineering. Twin radiators, twin exhausts (separate system for each cylinder bank), finned alloy brake drums with steel liners, and many other features I've forgotten. And it all worked very well.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Probably a FWD 1600cc version. They're dog-slow, and can be bought for a few hundred quid.

Reply to
SteveH