BMW 318i ABS (1992)

My sexy new Sat Nav takes the speed pulse from the ECU to tell it your speed. Unfortunately my ECI doesn't seem to send pulses at low speed and the Sat Nav appears to rely on that more than the GPS. I'm not just bing picky because at low speeds in traffic you can be way past the turning you want before the Sat Nav catches up with where it is.

I know add-on speed pulse generators are available for £100+ but one I found says it magnetises the steel bands in your tyre. Sounds slightly iffy to me. I thought a more reliable way might be to add an ABS sensor to one wheel.

The manual says the 'reluctor rings' are pressed on the rear driveshaft and need a whole new driveshaft to renew them. The front ones, it says, are fitted onto the rear of the front hub and the sensor bolts onto the steering knuckle which sounds like it could be an easy job.

Ay of you fine people know if my cunning plan is possible/ easy job?

Regards, Nige

Reply to
Periproct