BMW 320d MAF

2001 320D MAF, I have red in a forum somewhere that if you suspect the MAF to be faulty unplug it and run the car and the performance should increase if the MAF is indeed the culprit. Is this true?

Second question, do all the 3 series use the same MAF sensor including the diesels?

Reply to
Richard

Petrol and diesel MAF's will almost certainly be different. However, I'm pretty sure the 520d any other 2.0d BMW from that vintage will share the same one.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Id be amazed, since the ECU will have no way of measuring the air entering the engine and so probably will not run at all, for more than a few seconds.

I doubt it.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

It's a diagnostic procedure, recommended for both diesel and petrol engines, when trying to diagnose a faulty air flow meter.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Pulled them off both my toyota and BMW and neither car ran for more than a second after? More modern ones must be set up differently.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Depends entirely on the vehicle. A lot of vehicles will go into limp home mode if the MAF sensor is unplugged.

Reply to
M Cuthill

do i need a garage to determine if the MAF is faulty.

Reply to
Richard

Not entirely sure on BMW's but on my VW I used a laptop and the vag-com software to log the maf readings . Is there any diagnostic software freely available for BMW's?

Reply to
diy-newby