BMW 320D W reg

I am thinking about buying one of these (BMW 320D SE Saloon 2litre manual, 2000 reg).

Anybody have any advice, or know of any known problems.

I am told that turbos are a major problem, but are they ??

Reply to
spender

I know Honest John's website is sometimes criticised for inaccuracies, but this might be worth a look:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Turbo's yes. If you replace with a rebuilt one, then you'll be facing the same issue again in 60-70k time. Replace with an upgraded item (better quality thrust bearings & seals) and it'll be fine *BUT* in either case you MUST treat the PCV breather box as a consumable item and replace it every other oil change. Crankcase pressure halves the life of the turbo!

On a W reg, it'll be non common rail so no injector issues, but pumps do go awry at high milages.

Other usual E46 foibles thereafter + arches for rust! Blower motor hedgehogs go but thats 15mins of blood sweat n tears to change.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..