BMW 323 Coupe (E36)

Any opinions on E36 BMW 323 Coupes?

After going to look at a few Elises I was talking to a chap at work who used to have one, who then mentioned that he was selling his E36 323i SE Coupe.

He'd stuck it on Ebay, said he couldn't understand for one minute why anyone would buy a car sight unseen, but one of his friends put his Clio on there, got way more than book, and the winner just turned up, paid and drove off :-o

All I really know is that I want something with a bit of speed to it (1.4 Golf currently), but that I can use every day and whilst an Elise is a "big grin" car it is of course a totally different proposition to a BMW, I did start off looking at BMW coupes, albeit the E46 series.

I haven't actually seen the car yet but knowing the chap I suspect it will be in good shape, this is the Ebay URL (ended without the reserve being met):

Really wanted some thoughts from a general POV and from a "that car" POV (albeit from a description)

I might just sod the idea of a car and change my name by deed poll to "indecicive f**ker" :-)

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

The E36 is possibly the worst built BMW ever.

My brother has one (admittedly it's a few years older and done at least

50k more miles than that one) and it's falling apart in ways even Alfa Romeo couldn't dream of ;-)
Reply to
SteveH

Anyone?

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

Paul Hutchings ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If you're looking for a "Why didn't it sell?" - terrible pic, seller with very low feedback, short MOT.

If you're looking for a "Should I buy it?" - God, no.

Oh, and *silver* leather? Sounds *dreadful*...

Reply to
Adrian

Then you haven't had an E46 yet. My E36 was just fine. Sure a few things fell off but it seemed inherently reliable.

Reply to
adder1969

On the down side they are not especially well built, as someone else already said. Also, the bushes on the rear suspension wear very quickly; had to have mine replaced at 4.5 years old/ 40K miles. The engine on the 323 doesn't pull very well at low revs, which surprised me, although it has a fair turn of speed when you wind it up.

The up side is that they are RWD, good at high speed on the M-way, handle nicely and spares can be readily obtained from scrappies because they have been around so long and produced in such volume.

Regards, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh

Then the rest must be good. ;) I have had an E36 for 8 years and done just under 100k and it has been a superb vehicle requiring no major repairs in that time. Build quality has also been flawless. It depends if the car is from new as a lot of 'build quality' issues tend to have come from lack of care from previous owners.

An excellent vehicle and when I come to sell it this Summer I will be buying BMW again.

Reply to
Sam Smith

repairs in

I had an E36 for 5 years 160k miles. Never had a problem with rear bushes. The gearbox broke at about 130k miles but that was about the only problem I had. If it weren't for the fact that it didn't have heated seats, air-con etc I would have it back in an instant.

Reply to
adder1969