BMW Cam Belt Broken

The wife was driving my J reg 318 as her A class has packed up and she phones me at work saying that she can't start it. The RAC came and arranged a tow and telephoned the guy who does my servicing, an ex BMW mechanic. The RAC guy has described it as a broken cam belt and according to the mechanic these engines are somewhat renowned for braking cam belts. That is the model that went from about 1983 through to about 1990. I gather that it can be an absolute disaster or not do too much damage. The car is about 15 years old and done 186000 miles so not worth spending a fortune on this. What are the chances that this wont be too bad.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Rayner

Depends how little you care about it, but you could just get him to put a new belt on and see if it works? Other than that you'll not really know until he gets the head off.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Sounds as though you need a mechanic that actually does the servicing the car needs (like scheduled cam belt changes)

Belts on these should be changed every 28000 or three years (this is a very low interval, so there is obviously a bit of a problem)

This is an interference engine, so valve damage is VERY likely.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

What I was wondering, for the cost of belt and labour rather than the labour to take the head off and then decide its not worth it. I am not worried so much about valve damage as smashing the piston, what is the likely hood of that. My previous BMW lost one of the studs that held the air filter to the top of the carb. Bent the inlet valve but only after rebuilding and running realised that it had cracked the piston around the piston ring grooves, jamming the rings tight so needed a new piston.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

Why are you not worried about valve damage? The engine won't run properly or at all if these are damaged.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I am not worried about valve damage as replacing valves is a simple process, lifting the engine out to replace a piston is another matter.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

?????