BMW Central Locking

My 1996 BMW 316i central locking is driving me spare! When I unlock the doors, 1 second later they relock themselves. However, once I start the engine, they work normally. Any suggestions for what could be causing that, please? (At the moment, I've just taken out the fuse for the central locking, so it's all manual. In case it's relevant, there's an electric sunroof on the car.)

Also, is there a preferred newsgroup in the UK for buying and selling cars?

Reply to
GB

On cars which can be central locked from the passenger side: if the passenger door lock is stiff or faulty the unlock lifts the locks, the faulty one says 'no, i'm locked, everyone else follow' and you get your situation. Maybe if the voltage is a little higher with the engine running the stiff lock is able to be pushed that little bit further out ??

I would unplug he passenger lock and see if it then works ok.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Actually, I've just had to replace the battery. So, maybe there's a connection? I'll put the fuse back and see whether the problem persists. Thanks for the quick reply.

BTW, could the boot lock also be the cause of the problem?

Reply to
GB

If it's one of those where the boot lock operates the central locking, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just popped fuse no 7 back in again, and with the new battery it seems to be working okay again. My guess is that the boot lock was the one that was not opening quickly enough, and the extra voltage from the new battery has done the trick. Thanks to all for the help! Particularly to MrCheerful for his comment "Maybe if the voltage is a little higher with the engine running the stiff lock is able to be pushed that little bit further out ??" I had been thinking along the lines that there was a problem with the central locking that was draining the battery.

So, let me just add some keywords in case anyone else has this problem and does a search: BMW Central locking problem fault Central locking cycles Central locking cycling between locked and unlocked Central locking bouncing locked and unlocked closed and open key operated

Reply to
GB

I've just had a look in uk.adverts.cars

Dead. Unless you want shoes from china.

Gumtree has a free listing for cars. Then there's autotrader.

Reply to
Adrian C

Thanks Adrian

Reply to