BMW E28 520

My brother who lives at the other end of the country has two of these. One auto one manual, but have near enough the same engine and injection etc so handy for swapping bits in an attempt to find a fault.

The auto isn't as much used - but has to be mobile to move in and out of the garage etc when needed.

On starting one day, it was missing on one cylinder. Ignored, as it managed to move.

Next time, two cylinders missing. Didn't clear up even when run to fully hot.

Now, it won't start at all.

Plugs are wet - but all appear to have a strong spark outside of the engine. Plugs and plugs leads and dizzy cap etc swapped with the other engine no difference.

Cam belt was changed fairly recently and it ran fine for many miles afterwards.

I've suggested he checks the ignition timing is correct as I can't really think of a fault that would cause massive over fuelling when cold - and progressively like this seems to be.

Any guesses gratefully received. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Failing coolant temp sensor reading far colder than need be, so "choke on" too much?

Reply to
Adrian

Is there an air intake temperature sensor? My Omega over fuelled when that failed.

Reply to
rp

Possibility, but on a cold start at this time of year it would go fully rich anyway.

But I got him to check what the working car did with that sensor unplugged. It started ok from cold but soon bogged down as it warmed up. No difference on the faulty one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On the early Bosch injection the ATS only trims the fuelling slightly.

At this time of the year in the N of Scotland it will generally need all the fuel it can get for a cold start. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sticky injectors? How long's the fuel pressure take to drop?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I have seen two rare instances with similar head scratching results: a montego injection with a rag sucked up the air intake, and a volvo 240 that died in a car park after being backed into an earth bank, filling the exhaust pipe with mud.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Funnily enough I has a diesel Cavalier that lost power intermittently. Turned out to be a blocked/collapsed exhaust back box. It had a petrol one fitted instead of the correct diesel version - so they said.

Reply to
snot

I'd have thought the only difference between the back boxes would be the angle of the tailpipe - diesels (back in the sooty days) used to point down rather than straight out. More likely cause was that it was a cheapie, and the baffles inside were rotting away and collapsing.

Reply to
Adrian

L jetronic arent they? Leaking injectors, or stuck open cold-start injector?

Let the pots 'air' over night and dry out the plugs. Pull the pump relay , then have an assistant plug it back in whilst it is cranking over, throttle open alittle.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim

I don't think it has a cold start injector.

Full throttle when cranking puts it into a flood clear mode - ie stops any injection.

But if you read the original, this fault has been progressive. Started out with one cylinder missing but otherwise running ok then more missing - until it wouldn't run at all. Which does suggest to me ignition.

Snag with this installation is the injectors are difficult to get at.

Latest is he's tried swapping the ECUs. More in hope than anything else.

I'm still waiting to hear the results of what a timing light when cranking. But he's having problems finding the timing marks on this engine

- the other one has them in white paint.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Naaa, wont be new enough for that i'm certain...

Reply to
Tim

Even the older SD1 does that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dunno - it's 20 years ago now. Exhaust place/AA man said it was wrong. The back box was a new one fitted by the previous owner, car was 3 years old at the time. Oh for the days when I could afford cars less than 3 years old --- I'm on 10 year old wrecks now...... The replacement back box was still on the car and OK 7 years later when the car was sold (for a pittance) with 160,000 miles on it.

Reply to
snot

Well the "wreck" I have is coming up to its 20th birthday and I'm thinking of replacing it with a "new" car around the 10 year olde mark and that.. Will do me fine thanks:)...

The wreck's an Audi A6 estate petrol engined manual ...

Might get a diseasel next time..

Reply to
tony sayer

Our _newest_ vehicle, the nice-sensible-daily-driver, is 24yo (and cost £100 five years ago)... The oldest is 52 years old. Average age of the fleet is 37!

Reply to
Adrian