BMW ECU programmes.

Would I be correct in assuming that a base spec model has basically the same ECU as one that has many or all of the extras, and the latter is simply programmed accordingly? Given of course, cars of a similar age

Maybe the only connections to the ECU from the instrument cluster, are those appropriate to whatever is fitted, and the ECU is disabled for those that are not?

The reason I ask is that it was suggested to me today that the faulty warning on my '94 525i, saying 'SELF LEVELING' when it hasn't got a self levelling system, could be caused by the ECU or a fault within the instrument cluster, and if so, it might be possible to have the warning disabled by a BMW dealer.

Anyone know whether this is possible. If it is it might be easier than trying to find what actually triggers the warning. It only comes up occasionally. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I don't think there was anything dealer programmable on an E34 - the E39, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It may well have had a self-levelling suspension system when standard. Even some early E34 base models had this. Many owners swap over to standard shocks, replace the shock mounts and remove all the pipework etc.

JB

Reply to
JB

It may have been standard on the Tourings, but not on any other I've come across.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Mike G (mikgibbs at tiscali dot co dot uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

More likely on a modern multiplexed car with an ECU for all the body functions that are controlled locally on older cars.

I wonder if there's a stray wire within the loom, not needed on your car, that's shorting out somewhere and sending a stray signal?

Reply to
Adrian

I've only had it since january. AFAIK it never has had self levelling, but about 18 months ago, it had M-Tech suspension fitted at a BMW garage. That shouldn't have created the fault, but as far as the old bills show, that and new bushes etc, is all that's been done to the suspension since

1996, when the previous owner baught it. The BMW dealer SH is complete from new. I must admit to being a bit lost with car electronic faults, ECU's etc. If it was mechanical I'd have sorted it by now. :-) Mike. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

Could be, but finding it might be a problem, which is why I was thinking that simply disabling the function in the ECU, maybe by physically disconnecting the wire/s or by reprogramming might be an easier solution. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Mike G (mikgibbs at tiscali dot co dot uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Could it have been fitted to replace the (expensive, faulty, etc) self- levelling?

Reply to
Adrian

I just think he wanted it lowered and stiffened to give it better roadholding. At the same time he fitted 17" E39 M-Tech sports wheels. He'd had the common 'wandering' problem previously, but the bills show that that was cured (expensively) by fitting new suspension links, bushes etc, a few months earlier. The conversion cost over 2k inc tyres and wheels. More money than sense IMO but the result suits me fine.:-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

With a large axe?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The message from "Clive George" contains these words:

Right - who said that?

Reply to
Guy King