BMW Inspection light reset tool

I've got a inspection/oil light reset tool which I used on my D-reg

1985?) 318i with the 1800cc engine. As far as I can tell this is an E30 engine, is this correct?

The tool has a large (40mm dia.) circular plug with 4 pins visible. There is a plastic keyed prong in the centre. It has two switches - on/off and oil/inspection. Red LED for power and green/yellow for oil/insp.

What EMU system would this car have used? Bosch?

Is the tool worth anything to anyone?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Lots of devices sold in Autotrader, Exchange & Mart and on ebay to do what you require.

Reply to
John Veldman

In article , John Veldman writes

I've already _got_ one, thanks, just want to know a bit more about it so I can advertise it with an accurate description. There's some pics of it at

Mike Tomlinson

You can use a bit of wire to do the same job. Or even the much quoted paperclip. A code reader/reset tool is of more use for later cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It happens that Dave Plowman (News) formulated :

..and a lamp!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What for?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To see the bit of wire?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Dave Plowman (News) laid this down on his screen :

To flash the fault codes. The lamp flashes long and short flashes, the format of which when decoded, indicates any faults found or none.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But not if the rechargeable battery soldered to the back of the instrument panel has died.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

John Veldman = Tiscali Idiot

Reply to
Adrian C

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

OK, thanks. Bin it is then.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

or put it on ebay, or freecycle, or give it to the owner of a suitable car when you see one.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In article , Mrcheerful writes

Gave it to the owner of my local backstreet garage this morning when I took the Mini in for a brake check.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson