BMW oil.

I know this subject has been flogged to death in various forums etc. My car has been serviced all it's life by BMW main dealers. meaning presumably, that they have used BM's recommended lubricants. The car is a '94 525i. BTW. With no apparent oil consumption.

The HB lists CCMC-G4 or CCMC-G4/PD2 as the preferred engine oil, with API SG, API SG//CD, API SG/CE, API-SH/CD, or API SH/CE, also permitted. I'd like to know what these specs mean in plain english. :-)

I'm having the car serviced by my oft used tuning mechanic, and would like to continue using oil of a similar spec to that already in it, so I'd either buy the oil, or tell him what to use.

I,e. Is it straight, semi synthetic, fully synthetic, and what viscosity?

I know I could just use Mobil 1 and be done with it, but I'd like to know the spec that BM use, and recommend. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

BMW have used shell helix oil for some years now.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Standards set up by various organisations and bodies. API is the American Petroleum Institute for example, S is for petrol engines C for diesel engines. The second letter code is the specfic standards that the oil has to attain.

Look here for a short potted history

Since it's not a diesel you don't have to worry about the diesel grades. You want at least a semi synth oil meeting SH or SJ and the correct viscosity index.

What does the vehicle handbook recommend?

Er, No you can't. You need the oil of the correct viscosity and Mobil 1 may not be that. Besides which it costs a fortune. but I'd like to know

Reply to
Chris Street

In the handbook it only lists the specs I originally quoted. It doesn't give types of oil by specific name or it's viscosity.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Most of those oil specifications are obsolete. The modern equivalent is just plain old API SL. The viscosity you need is 5w/30 or 10w/30. These are nothing special.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Both the dealers I used when I had one used Duckhams Hypergrade. Of the appropriate spec. But 10 years on I'd say you'd have a vast choice of oils which meet the same spec.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why don't you ask one of the BMW main dealers that have serviced your car which oil they used? Better than other peoples guesses.

Reply to
Johnny

They're likely to say BMW oil if it's a recent vehicle, as it comes in BMW bottles if you buy it for top up purposes. They use bulk supplies for oil services.

I wouldn't trust a BMW dealer to give you the accurate day of the week.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Such faith in BMW dealerships is quite touching. :-) Mike. .

Reply to
Mike G

I'm sure you're right. Helix Plus seems a suitable choice. Or how about good old Halfords semi synthetic. :-) Seems OK in my Vitesse. Do you know how it compares to the equivalent semi at considerably higher cost from the big boys? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I've always used oils by Morris - have no idea if they are good value for money but I could only save about a quid a litre on their price anyway and I know how long previous engines have lasted - 335,000 in a Rover 214i for example. (and still going strong when it was stolen). It doesn't cost as much as the Halfords stuff as well.

Chris Street

He's got a point though, I turned up for a pre-arranged test drive of a new

318 once wearing jeans & old jumper - "oh, the car is booked out I'm affraid", then tried to tell my I couldn't afford one anyway - even though I'd turned up in my 1 year old Celica :-/
Reply to
Johnny

Johnny ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I had similar at a Merc dealer - parked 2yo 318 outside, wearing suit, and got thoroughly ignored when I asked about a C180. Their loss. I was actually considering one as a co. car.

On the flip side, an Audi dealer gave me the keys to an A4 and sent me off on my own, even though I turned up in t-shirt, shorts and a battered beige Dyane.

Reply to
Adrian

Morris oils are great but as long as the oil meets API SL and is of the appropriate viscosity then there is no need to worry about brand at all. No need to worry about synthetic or semi synthetic or mineral either. The Standard guarantees the quality. This car needs far lower quality than the latest standard for its service interval so the cheapest oil of sufficient quality will ensure optimum life expectancy. Any better guarantees only less spending power to the consumer in this instance unless service intervals are stretched beyond those recommended.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I know that. Personally I don't trust any motor dealerships. Period. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I found mine quite faultless when I bought the car. It's the servicing that is s**te.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)