BMW Service Accident Aftercare

Just got an Accident Aftercare card in the post from my dealer. Basically it "supplements my existing motor insurance", and they'll: o Recover your damaged vehicle, take it to our BMW Approved Bodyshop and undertake full management of the repairs o Liaise with your insurance company and the other driver o Manage all the communication with your insurance company o Provide courtesy car / replacement vehicle depending on fault o If non-fault, recover all uninsured losses.

Call me a cynic, but I'm sure they aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. Is it a scheme to screw my insurance company out of as much money as possible (and then have that reflected in my premium) by taking the car to a BMW Approved Bodyshop, or is it actually a useful service?

Reply to
TD

I don't believe your premium will go up more than the general increases just because you use the service.

I had to replace a door on my 1 year old car (my fault - reversed into one of those metal 2ft pillars)

The guarantee carried a years anti rusr warranty so I 'd lost the 6year perforation warranty (or is it12 now ?) My guess is that those who expect a car of similar quality rather whilst their are repaired than the cheapest Seat or Ford KA and those who sue, sue and sue again are the guilty for pushing up premiums!

Reply to
Tommy

Thus spake Tommy ( snipped-for-privacy@what.acon) unto the assembled multitudes:

Inquiring minds wish to know, how did you damage the *door* (which is on the side, presumably) by *reversing* (presumably going backwards) into a metal pillar? Was the door open at the time? Just curious...

Reply to
A.Clews

snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Clue: You don't have to reverse in a straight line.

Reply to
Adrian

Thus spake Adrian ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

True, but the doors would still be facing a line perpendicular to the direction of travel. Unless of course it was a glancing blow, e.g. if reversing round a corner with the pillar at the apex...

Reply to
A.Clews

There you go...

But it doesn't even need to be a glancing blow. Think about reversing round that corner with a pillar at the apex on full lock. When the pillar is level with the door, turn full lock in the other direction.

I can't think of many reasons to DO that (even if you're unaware of the pillar), but the door would be hit almost head on. Same if the pillar is on the outside of the corner. Especially if you're trying a J-turn at the time :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Not if you're using the steering.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Or on the outside. Front of car coming round, door travelling partially backwards, partially sideways - meets pillar.

'course, if it's bad enough to warrant total door replacement on a near- new car instead of just a reskin, I'm surprised it didn't do the sill and roof, too.

Reply to
Adrian

Thus spake David Taylor ( snipped-for-privacy@yadt.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

Understood; I stand corrected.

It's the manoeuvre we all use to park in roadside gaps, I suppose, but there tend not to be many 2ft square pillars on roadsides!

None of which, of course, is of any comfort to the OP :-)

Reply to
A.Clews

10 out of 10. If you're reversing around a corner, then the direction of travel is constantly changing. The pillar is almost certainly stationary. That's probably the issue.
Reply to
AstraVanMann

Maybe I'm just being thick, but how the f*ck would a 2 foot high pillar that's damaged the actual frame of the door cause some structural damage to the roof?

Reply to
AstraVanMann