BMWs eh!

BMW is recalling all E46 M3s built before March 2003, essentially for an engine rebuild where they are replacing the con-rod bearing shells, which may fail.

The official reason is that they have failed BMW's quality assurance test - quite why it's taken this long to discover it is a mystery.

This will mean returning your car to the dealer and on return you will have to run in the car once more.

There is no compensation and BMW is trying to keep it very quiet. Official recall reference is 0011940100.

Reply to
Tim

The current M3 has had issues for a long time, just have a search via google for m3 engine failure! Who knows if these new shells are revised or simply new ones to try and stop the engine throwing its rods for a bit longer. I also heard that they changed the oil spec on these cars from standard BM spec oil to something like 20-60 again in an attempt to stop them throwing rods.

The design of this engine probably excludes durabilty full stop come to think of it, it's got a very long stroke and revs to stupidly high revs....if you rev it high frequently it's gonna break sooner or later! This is prob why BMW are moving to a V8 for the next M3.

Dilbert

Reply to
Dilbert

Not if you read any of the BMW newsgroups.

BMW pretty well never admit to design or manufacturing flaws, though. But then, neither do most other makers - even when life threatening.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Remember Lancia - they tried to do the decent thing and started buying older models which had rusted badly (not too much unlike every other 70's built car)

Unfortunately the news leaked out and basically killed the make in the UK - think this may happen with BMWs ? here's hoping

Reply to
Tommy

Hi. Don't moan! There are plenty of other Manufacturers that would have let the engines fail first.

BMW have located a problem and are prepared to correct it at there expense. Be thankfull you didn't buy a Rover!!!

Reply to
askhutch

I agree, MG/Rover still claim there is nothing wrong with the K-series engine but what other engines need a new head gasket at 21k miles?

Reply to
jon

Not *everyone* does, or they'd be out of business. An indecently large percentage seem to have head gasket problems, though. Now whether this is cause by a separate cooling system failure or not, I've no idea.

Wonder if the 'kit' car makers that use this engine have the same problems?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

jon (jon@nospamthanks) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Any engine that's had a water leak ignored until it's been cooked.

Reply to
Adrian

I've had 4 Rover cars with K-series engines, and not one of them has failed.

Reply to
neutron

Lotus use it in the Elise. They only changed to a Toyota VVT engine in the top model recently because they wanted more power.

Reply to
neutron

Yes, but they know what to expect and 21K is quite a lot of miles for the kind of lightweight kits that benefit most from the K-series. There again, I think I'll stick with my lardy Zetec.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

But Lotus etc tend to rather modify the engine to produce power outputs rather in excess of Rover. And any fundamental weakness like a head gasket is unlikely to survive this for long.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

& to hit the emissions target.
Reply to
DuncanWood

I think it was from the standard 5-30 to 10-60 oil. Which one can only get from BMW in the UK at something like 13 quid a litre. ...but what you actually get in your engine when you have an oil service is anyone's guess!

If a engine is designed & built properly then high revs shouldn't be a problem.

But, there have been lots of problems with the M3 from front to back - engine, gearbox, clutch, differential, half-shafts,....

Reply to
adder

Are they going to fit indicators to the frigging X5's and 3 series as well? That way, we might be able to know when one of the tossers driving them is going to change lane.

Reply to
James Dore

In America, yes. That's one area where the K-series is showing it's age.

Reply to
neutron

Zetecs are great, but out of the two I'd choose K-series. I just prefer the zesty nature and the nice amount of low-down torque you get from them. Having said that, the only K-series engined car I've driven is a '92 Metro GTi, and the only Zetec engined car I've driven is a 1.8 Mk1 Mondeo.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In news:Ix3ld.90$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Ah. Explains your choice then. 1.8 Mondeos are torpid.

Reply to
Pete M

Could any engine, designed when it was, pass future emission regs without substantial modification?

It's just another example of Rover not having the money to keep their product range up to date.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You normally want a big bore and short stroke for high revs. That's been known for decades why BMW would chose a long stroke for a high revving engine is anyone's guess.

Reply to
Depresion