Body repairs in the rain

One of my elderly neighbours came to see me the other day, she'd scraped her rear corner on a post at Tesco. Well, at least she admitted it, not claim someone had hit it while parked. But I digress. I chickened out of it, I never have done bodywork, and very little mechanical stuff nowadays. I advised her to get one of those "We come to you and fix your dent" guys to come and do it.

He's here doing it now. It's pissing down big time here. Now I know he's got a shelter of sorts, but it's not like a tent that goes over the whole car, just a horizontal awning keeping the rain off. What are the chances of this work producing a decent finish? (He's at the body filler and primer stage at the moment, but I assume he's going to spray it at some point)

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

One of my elderly neighbours came to see me the other day, she'd scraped her rear corner on a post at Tesco. Well, at least she admitted it, not claim someone had hit it while parked. But I digress. I chickened out of it, I never have done bodywork, and very little mechanical stuff nowadays. I advised her to get one of those "We come to you and fix your dent" guys to come and do it.

He's here doing it now. It's pissing down big time here. Now I know he's got a shelter of sorts, but it's not like a tent that goes over the whole car, just a horizontal awning keeping the rain off. What are the chances of this work producing a decent finish? (He's at the body filler and primer stage at the moment, but I assume he's going to spray it at some point)

Here he is, down the end of the cul-de-sac, working in the rain. Yes, I know it's a shit picture, but I'm not going out there to get a better one.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I always find paint dries a bit 'misty' when it's cold and wet. But I expect he knows what he's doing. I think the greatest danger when working in the rain is to rush the job, and not take as much care as you might otherwise do.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

they usually use a radiant heater to keep it all warm.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Wind is worse. Once I bought a car door on ebay and left it with the body work mechanic to get it painted. Came back a week later to have it fitted, the freshly painted door was leaning against his garden wall. The colour wasn't quite good, but I knew it would be difficult. We were just about to fit the door as a gust of wind blew it down flat on the pavement (: The guy then offereed to re-paint it again with a better hit, all in all a win-win, only another week's waiting.

Reply to
johannes