Brake advice

Coming up to needing to change my front brakes on the 1.6 2001 golf and was after some advice on what products to use ?

I'll be getting what I need from GSF, I see they have drilled brake discs are these any good never used them ? I read they may be noisey at low or may have been high speeds I forget which, they have the brembo max disc in store they said it was popular which doesn't make it great any views ? the others were regular vented\solid. I guess vented is what I would need. Oh yes they have vented and drilled lol so much to chose from!

As for pads they have, pagid, mintx, greenstuff (which I'm not sure about) had a mixed review.

So I was after a bit of advice on what to go for as its not my area of expertee.

With no advice I was looking at the bremobo max (depending on if its drilled or just vented) with some mintex pads. Or Paidgid pads on some vented discs.

Be greatful of some info *thumbs up*

Reply to
James

With respect, it's a 1.6 Golf. You don't need anything other than bog standard brake parts.

If you have the extra money to spend on "performance" parts, why not get the proper bits from a main dealer instead? It's what I would do, and you might find there is not a massive difference in prices. You will also have the confidence that your brakes meet the manufacturer's specification.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

James ( snipped-for-privacy@here.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You can only replace vented/solid disks like for like, unless you're replacing the calipers at the same time - the vented disks are much thicker than solid.

As for upgrading to drilled etc - do you currently suffer badly from brake fade? drilled/grooved disks allow the gases which can build up between pad and disk under repeated heavy braking to escape. No more than that. They can both cause increased pad wear.

Given that it's only a 1.6 Golf, I'd say just stick with the standard kit unless you regularly drive it like you stole it.

Oh, and your insurer may count 'em as a modification...

Reply to
Adrian

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

GSF's "OEM" parts are typically the same parts, just branded differently - and there usually is a big price difference to dealer.

Reply to
Adrian

That I didn't know, according to GSF they say it will fit as its 256mm which is the same size about the stock one.

Interesting. Probably more hassle than they are worth, was only tempted in swinging that way as I was after some nice alloys later this year (whats left of it) and some nice discs would look quite dashing :)

I think that might be best, as its not a rocket, it just needs to stop when I press the brakes :)

Oh them they could using v-power petrol as a mod lol

Reply to
James

I think your right Chris, it isn't a rocket and OEM stuff would be adequate, thought I get a little fancy as I wanted some nice alloys soon to chuck on the car, and thought some funky discs would look nice, I was going to go all out and paint the calipers :) ... but the car really needs no more weight as its quite sluggish as it.

Reply to
James

James ( snipped-for-privacy@here.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Again, you'd need to replace calipers to upgrade the disk size - and quite possibly go up an inch in wheel size.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian said "Thicker" - even if the diameter is the same, if you've got solid disks, vented won't fit in the same calipers.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I use pagid fast road pads and find that they fade less then regular ones when braking heavily repeatedly and they seem to stop the car quicker too, but all that could be just because it brakes better with new discs and pads than with old ones.

If you want them just for looks then go with whatver the hell you like.

Reply to
adder1969

Dont bother with uprated discs, I have slotted rotors on my celica and it makes a difference to fade if im spirited driving in B roads and my brakes start to fade (known problem with my heavy and powerful car with discs not much different in diameter to yours). However I can recommend Pagid pads. They tend to be a bit dusty but they seem to bite better than stock Toyota ones and are well recommended in other circles. They get better when you get them hot too, which is nice. Mintex are known to have squeel problems and greenstuff ones - pass. One thing I will say is that if you get "performance pads" with normal discs you will likely end up chewing the discs up faster than normal.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Hi,

Just re-read his post and just realised that :)

Reply to
James