Brake advice - Mk4 Fiesta

Hi

I have noticed that my footbrake is slowly getting worse, i.e., I need to apply more pressure to stop the car. They often feel quite "snatchy" and sometimes unpredictable. I have looked at the pads and they are very low, so I'll be getting this done fairly soon, but a problem has just appeared on the rears for which I would like some advice.

Theres a fair few sets of temporary traffic lights on my daily commute, you know, the long ones with a special convoy. Anyway, I have noticed that after pulling away (after releasing the handbrake) there is a large "clunk" from the nearside drum - its almost as if its sticking. I have also noticed that when on a hill the handbrake feels uneven, i.e., following the application of the handbrake and releasing the footbrake the car doesn't rise squarely at the rear.

Any advice guys? I'm fairly clued up with brake systems in general, and would fit the front pads myself, but dont feel confident in tackling the rears.

TIA Moby.

Reply to
Moby

I would expect to find that when the drums are removed the shoes on at least one side will be wet with fluid. You *may* be able to confirm this by looking underneath at the backplates(on a dry day) are they wet at the bottom? if so the cylinder has been leaking for yonks.

HTH Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I don't mean to be rude but if you are 'fairly clued up with brake systems', checking the rear brakes and possibly replacing parts should not be difficult.

I would suggest that you should ask an expert to look at it and advise.

Having said that, is there brake fluid leaking from the drum on one or both sides?

I would remove the drum and have a look.

You can always refit it and pay someone to do the repair.

Reply to
Alan

It is probably the lining in the brake shoes breaking down and falling apart, then little bits getting jammed between the shoe and the drum, causing the "clunking".

Sounds like you need new shoes all round - probably best to replace both sides at once. It is an easy job after you've done it once. Not as straightforward as replacing pads because:

a) You have the handbrake auto adjuster in the way - this must be taken off and carefully "rewound" and put back together correctly. b) You need a new split pin and a large socket (24mm?) to get the drum off - if it's the same as my Escort. c) There are a couple of large springs which must be stretched into place which can be a bit fiddly.

Keep once side all in one piece until you've successfully finished the other side in case you make a balls-up and then you can at least cross-reference it with the good side.

Luke

Reply to
RancidPants

Checking the fronts is easy, I have alloys, but as yet I haven't had time to check the rears. When I said I was fairly clued up I meant it, i.e. I have a good knowledge how the rear brake system works, but have never taken anything apart (also not having a large socket doesnt help!).

Can't tell, weather is awful, although I have noticed that my brake fluid is slightly lower than normal, both by inspection and with the red light flashing on this morning when I was going down a VERY steep hill.

Will get something sorted on the weekend.

Moby.

Reply to
Moby

Cheers for the advice - I dont suppose you could tell me a ball-park figure for a). buying the parts and fitting myself and b). taking it to Kwik Fit/or similar?

I haven't got much spare time at the mo, so I may have to opt for a garage to do the rears.

Cheers Moby,

Reply to
Moby

All the signs are there :-))

Reply to
shazzbat

Well I have managed to have a look and yes, there is quite a bit of brake fluid in there! I have just taken it to my trusty mechanic and hes going to put a new cylinder on it - no more than 40 quid he reckons, all in.

Cheers guys Moby.

Reply to
Moby