Brake binding Merc 1984 280e

My 280e has one rear brake binding a little. Not enough to stop driving but it's getting warm. What are the likely causes for one brake to bind and what ways are there of fixing it?

tia

Antony

Reply to
antony.adshead

In news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@rbi.co.uk decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Handbrake or disc binding?

Reply to
Pete M

our

Are they discs or drums? The former, I expect. There may be a calliper piston binding. Need to explore where the tightness is. Can you push the pistons back by hand using a screwdriver or something? There may be a handbrake problem but I don't know if the handbrake works on the rear discs or not.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Not the handbrake is it? If not, and if it isn't used all that much, I'd bet a sticky caliper. Happened on a number of w123s I've had.

Reply to
Sean

Hi Sean, no, it's not used that much and does feel like a sticky caliper. What's involved in the fix?

Antony

Reply to
antony.adshead

If there's any muck or a bit of corrosion on the pistons it can make the caliper sticky. Take off the caliper, remove the pistons, clean them off and refit with new seals if necessary (some say always use new seals but if the old ones are OK I reuse them). Refit and bleed the brakes if necessary.

Reply to
Sean