Brake bleeding

I'm trying to bleed the brakes on a MkI Punto.

My pressure bleeding kit is very, very slightly too big for the fluid reservoir top - you think it's screwed on OK, then you apply (reduced) tyre pressure to it and it pops off and fluid spurts everywhere :-(

I've tried tightening a hoseclip around the cap to stop it popping off - doesn't help.

I've got one of those one of those one-man kits with a one way valve but it doesn't engage on the bleed screws awfully well, I don't trust it and results so far are not satisfactory.

Any tips for getting the pressure kit working? Or am I going to have to pay my 12 year old daughter a couple of quid to pump the brake pedal so I can do the two man method?

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Yes, assuming your kit is either the gunsons eezibleed or something similar, it sounds like you've got the cap which is an imperial size close to but not close enough to the metric size you need, or the wrong thickness of washer, IIRC there is a cap that needs either a thick one, a thin one, or both, according to the car. Experiment for the best fit.

I wouldn't want to give a twelve year old gloating rights this close to Christmas.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

There is a choice of washer but what good will that do, how will it stop the cap from being slightly oversize?

Reply to
Vim Fuego

you@ll need the other cap they supply, or buy an old one from a scrappies

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I would use amalgatape to increase the outside diameter of the filler neck, AND a luggage tie/strap going round the reservoir and the cap. Amalgatape; inside and out, straddling the lip of the opening:

tie/strap; any type, something like this:
Seasonal greetings.

Reply to
Lin Chung

forgot about paying her make her do it or tell her santa won't come otherwise ? thats if 12 year olds these days believe in santa hehe

Reply to
johnbond

And she will tell mommy that dads asked her to pump his thingy

Reply to
Steve Robinson

I've found in the past that some cloth used between the matying threads acn improve the grip on *worn* tapped and died screws.

Would this work for you?

An old balloon is also another way, a skinny bit of rubber; increase contact area/reduce/increase screww mating areas (if you catch my drift) AND increase friction/grip.

Happy wotsitsname, and good new thingy.

Ah but no, employ the lass and remember, it's Xmas so she deserves a bonus...

Reply to
Billy H

Or a balloon, it is party time now in't it?

Must be loadsa balloons around Vim, else nip down the Nag's Head and buy some Jonnys.

Reply to
Billy H

Before or after he'd been the Nag's Head for Jonnys???

:oS

We gonna get Vim in trouble BIG!!

Reply to
Billy H

It sounds like a case of Imperial mating with Metric so buy some Jonnies and stand by with a cloth in case of spillage.

Reply to
Billy H

"Billy H" wrote in news:458e87be$0$8755$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

Perverse sexual references aside, I'm assuming that the OP is using the Gunsons kit to do the pressure bleeding? I've successfully used a Gunsons kit with a Seicento and I would expect the resevoir cap fitting on an Punto to be the same. I used the plastic cap that comes with the kit. Make sure the pressure is under 20psi, 15 seems to be adequate IME. A few wraps of PTFE tape around the threads of the resovoir neck might help.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Is this the one-way valve you have?

Lin Chung

================================= They used to be quite common - sold as ABVs - Automatic bleed valves. They worked very well but I haven't seen them for years.This is a British source but sizes will need to be checked:

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

God, now there's a good idea...

If I wanted to get one, how do I know what size to get? It's an 8mm spanner on the hex at the top, will that equate to an M8 thread? Or, if I need to measure the nipples, does that equate to an 8mm outside diameter of the threads?

Reply to
Vim Fuego

================================ You'll need four.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The different sizes are listed under "Automobile Sizes" (Lt. margin on the Speed Bleeder website). If your car is not on it, you may like to send them an e-mail.

If the external diameter of the threaded shaft of a bolt is 8 mm (M8 thread, in ISO designation), the width between the flats across the head is 13 mm -- the width is usually roughly 1½ times the thread; there is no universally adopted standard here. However, if a spanner has 8 mm inscribed on it, it's for M8 thread fasteners (The Bleeder is a modified bolt).

If your car requires part number SB7100 or SB8125, you are in luck, for the Automatic Bleed Valves in the Cicero's link exist in just these two sizes. They are £3.45 each (exc.. p&p), against the American's ~ $10 apiece. You'll need the Valve Caps too.

You may think the Speed Bleeder is a very simple device; nothing can go wrong. Not true. Here is one user who doesn't yell, "Hallelujah"!

"3. SpeedBleeders")

Reply to
Lin Chung

No. A spanner with 8mm on it measures 8mm across the flats. You just said that a 8mm, or M8 bolt (usually) needs a 13mm spanner. You were right then.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Oops....You are right. It just showed I had not been paying attention to the numbers on the spanners, had never given them a thought. These are the sizes of the jaws.

Reply to
Lin Chung

At least with the imperial sizes they used to put i.e.

1/2 A/F on them.

But don't get me started on the older ones which had both Whitworth and BS sizes on them. (BS = Bolt Size). I've still got some lying around. It's occasionally worth a bit of smirking when you point out to someone that what they thought was 18mm is actually 3/8" Whit. And that in the army we presented the retiring OC with a spanner suitably painted and mounted on a mahogany plinth. The spanner was 1/2 Whit :-)

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat