Brake disc wear

The inner surface of the OSF brake disc on my Citroen AX (which you're probably utterly sick of hearing about) is showing rather less wear than the inner surface on the nearside disc. This was picked up on when I had the exhaust downpipe changed over the weekend and may well explain why it pulls to the left a bit on braking.

When I say less wear, what I mean is that the unworn (rusty) band near the middle of the disc is about half as wide again as on any of the other discs (maybe 3.5cm as opposed to 2cm on the other surfaces). There is also a slight lip at the outside edge.

Is it fair to assume this unevenness is the root cause of the pull to the left on braking?

What might reasonably be causing this?

Is a change of pads likely to cure it, and if so am I going to need to change discs as well?

Cheers, Nick snipped-for-privacy@HAHAFOOLEDYOUSPAMMERie.org

Reply to
Nick Dobb

The message from Nick Dobb contains these words:

Yes, very likely. I've had it happen on Citroen AXs before.

Can't remember if the AX has single piston calipers with a sliding trunion or twin pistons (unlikely). If it's the former, then the sliding bit's not sliding. If the latter then one piston's stuck.

Reply to
Guy King

So if you clean everything well when you change the pads it may well cure it

Reply to
duncanwood

They are single piston, clean up the sliding trunnion and lubricate with a little copper grease on reassembley and it won't happen again, sounds like you may need new discs and pads, check them carefully.

Cor, 'trunnion', that's a new one one me...but I get the drift.

What should I be checking carefully for?

Reply to
Nick Dobb

Whether the discs and pads are good enought to use, nothing too technical. Trunnion, yes... I couldn't think of a better description