Brake discs and pads: best make?

Hello,

I have a Citroen C3 that needs new brakes discs (and therefore pads); I was asking about these in another thread.

Halfords sell Bosch pads and APEC discs Local independent sells Mintex discs and mintex pads

but then I found a post here recommending eurocar parts, who sell: ATE discs and pads Eicher discs and pads (cheaper than ATE) Bendix discs and pads (cheaper than ATE and Eicher)

Mrcheerful recommended in the other thread not to mix makes so that manufacturers could not blame each other if there were problems (warping?) later on.

I appreciate brakes are the most important part of the car so I don't mind paying more for a safer make, so which make is best or are they all much the same?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Fred gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Let's put it this way - Bendix supply a lot of OEM brake parts to PSA.

Reply to
Adrian

Can't go wrong with Mintex box sets but Bendix and ATE are fine.

Reply to
Conor

Used 'em all and found them all to be perfectly fine.

Halfords however are usually more expensive than even the main stealer, I always try them in the hope they'll have a special on but i usually find that my local General Traffic/Andrew Page/Partco/Brakes International/Indi Parts shop are cheaper.

Top tip when going to a factors, wear a set of grubby oily overhauls and a oil stained hi-viz and the counter monkey usually assumes you to be trade and give you trade cash price rather than retail cash price - 80% of the time anyway.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

I've used ATE pads and discs from Eurocarparts on my various BMWs over the years, and found them just the same as factory parts. Even down to the brake dust. ;-(

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So Bendix is likely what I would get from the dealer? I never knew that.

Surprisingly Halfrauds was cheaper than the main stealer: (to the nearest pound) Halfords discs 26 each pads 25 for four Stealer discs 50 each pads 58 for four Local (Mintex) discs 38 each pads 40 for four

The eurocarparts website shows the following for the 1.4L hdi: Bendix discs 24 each but it doesn't list any pads. It does have bendix pads for the 8v engine. Are the pads for the 16v engine bigger because they have to stop a more powerful car?

ATE discs 27 each pads 43 for four Eicher discs 20 each pads 19 for four

No wonder Eicher are the best seller at the lowest price! No-one here has mentioned them yet though, does that mean I should avoid them?

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred

sounds like you live in a dear part of the country, here (essex) a vented kit for an escort (pads plus discs) is 35 quid (mintex) a kit for a xsara picasso were only 57, peugeot 306 45 quid etc. etc (all mintex) give them a ring and ask a price for yours, it could give you a bargaining point (01708

854914)
Reply to
Mrcheerful

IME disks are much of a muchness, and I'd only worry about getting particularly good ones for hard use or if the car is known to have brake issues (ie, a bit small for the car, or known warping issues). As others have said, Bendix are OEM fit on a lot of french stuff - you'll probably find bendix calipers on the car, and ATE are OE on a lot of VWs. Mintex and Brembo are also decent.

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not IME.

I put new disks on the 900

Reply to
Adrian

There's nothing wrong with Mintex, in fact I would rate them as slightly better than OEM, at least on Nissan Primeras and VW Golfs.

Reply to
Steve

EBC brakes.

Reply to
Davey

They are probably better now, but we had awful problems with ebc (motorcycle pads) when they started (1980 ish) and had to stop selling them, even though their advertising was so good that people asked for that make.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

What about Eicher, the cheapest of the lot?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

I have not come across them.