Brake Discs/Pads

Hey,

Phoned the very few local Ford dealers near me to enquire about mk6 Escort brake discs/pads on their own, no fitting etc. Got quoted silly money; anybody got any idea which manufacturer makes Ford brake parts?

I've been trawling the net, and noticed on eurocarparts that 'Ate' and 'Eicher' are the only brake discs available from their website. I've found them pretty okay in the past; but i've never heard of 'Eicher', and although Ate are pretty well known in the brake business, I'm wary of shelling out £50 plus vat/carriage for discs and pads from eurocarparts that aren't so well known to myself.

I can get the pads elsewhere of course, but the brake discs...well I'm wary of replacing these without doing decent research, mainly because there's plenty of crap out there on the market at the moment.

Ta,

Dave.

Reply to
David R

£50each?!! HFM?? Don't bother with Ford. Get them from here.
service and quality, and very helpful & knowledgeable staff too.. JB
Reply to
JB

Sorry sorry, that was £50 for a pair from eurocarparts. But if they're just random aftermarket ones, then I'd rather not take the risk.

I wont even type the 4 sets of prices I was given from Ford. Note: all Arnold Clark dealers, so that would explain it.

Reply to
David R

David R (david snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Just go to your local motorfactor and ask 'em for a set of disks/pads for a late 'scrote - they may well have 'em in stock for pennies.

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah, I noticed my error after I hit send.

Thieves and robbers all.

JB .

Reply to
JB

Yebbut they won't be the super-high quality guaranteed ones he's looking for, they'll be the same as eg eurocarparts sell. Of course it's quite tricky to get a brake disc wrong, but...

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I wasn't suggesting super-high quality was required; but OEM are most expensive, par for the course, but do last longer in my experience.

If OEM aren't available, I will buy aftermarket, as you do, however not just any random non-listed brand off a website. With brake discs, an extra tenner can go a long way.

Reply to
David R

Clive George ( snipped-for-privacy@xxxx-x.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

FFS, it's for a 'scrote, not a friggin' Ferrari.

"Round" is more than adequate.

Reply to
Adrian

David R (david snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I get a daily email containing all of the day's automotive industry press releases.

Today's contains a release from an aftermarket brake disk supplier stating that the sales of replacement disks for

Reply to
Adrian

It's only a 6 year old car, and is suitable for a young 'un to write off. I was simply stating that many aftermarket brake parts are complete and utter unequivocal s**te, and can cause more harm than just annoying brake-squeel.

Which is the main reason for my asking who made/makes ford OEM brake discs/pads. I heard they're the same for the Focus and Escort at the time they were both made in that era, so they wont be hard to come across.

If you've done a few brakes yourself, you'll know it's a bit annoying to fit something, find out they're not as good as you had hoped - especially if the brand is a brand you've used before, and were good before.

In my experience Ferodo pads can be hit and miss.

Reply to
David R

I've never liked Ferodo pads. IMO the ATE discs will be very good quality- they're OE on lots of cars. I think my A3 ended up with ATE discs and Pagid pads- a lot of VAG cars have Pagid as OE. Everything fitted very well and stopped the car well.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Well ATE supply OEM to most of the major motor manufacturers. Of course what you sell as OEM & what you sell to the aftermarket doesn't have to be the same. & the names little guarantee, I've never had an issue with Mintex pads but their brake discs where dreadfull.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Halfords sell Ferodo, so I figured they'd be shit. [Sic]

I read a lot about the ATE discs, and suspected I'd be going for them.

Cheers Chris.

Reply to
David R

So what would be the groups advice on mintex disc and pad sets from ebay ? are they as good as you would get from a local motor factor . or are they pants

best wishes

Reply to
yeti

Well they might have got better recently, but the discs used to be pants (although very cheap)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

yeti (meeee@......com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Given the postage cost from a random fleaBayer for something of that weight, I'd be surprised if they'd be cheaper than a local factor.

Reply to
Adrian

There probably about par for the price just wondering more about quality

-- regards

Reply to
yeti

I'd be more concerned with putting a vital safety system in the hands of 'do-gooder' off ebay. It's not uncommon for boxes and items to be faked.

Generally speaking: don't trust ebay for critical safety items. Or come to that, electrical items.

Reply to
David R

Looks at large pile of electrical items & is amazed at the effort somebody has put into faking them.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If it's a microwave, it's unlikely to go wrong. But then again, who buys microwaves off ebay? Hmmmm. If you've purchased a mobile phone, then there's a high chance it's nicked or blocked (eventually), along with many other items being 'dodgy'.

Ebay isn't all it's cracked up to be. Doubt you'll be purchasing any 4GB sony memory cards anytime soon then?

Reply to
David R