Brake Discs - VW

Any ideas on a good source of reasonably priced discs for the current Passat?

Reply to
John

JB

Reply to
JB

GSF car parts?

Reply to
Malc

Another place to try is:-

Mike G

Taking into account postage, your local motor factor may be as cheap as online sources (mine certainly are on most cars - admittedly I've just discovered that one of them also trades as buypartsby.com). Try yell.com and search for "car accessories and spares" in your area.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I've just (indirectly) been caught out by that lot. I recommended someone to them on the basis of their

prices, but their Long Eaton branch (t/a Autospares / Sutton Autofactors) charged a few quid more for wishbones, brake discs, and brake pads. Still good prices, but I think I'll be having a little discussion with them next time I'm in there. In this case, it looks as though it would have worked out cheaper to have paid for delivery.

Reply to
Autolycus

I always phone up to compare their prices with Davmac just down the road. By and large Davmac tend to be cheaper, but just occasionally Autospares do something significantly cheaper, like the battery, and the Previa alternator last year.

I guess I'm lucky in having such good local suppliers, as my third regular supplier is Fittapart, aka Car Parts Direct, whose knowledge and understanding of classics is unmatched. Not the cheapest, but it's worth paying a bit more for quality service!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Where do you get paint from? I've bought bits and bobs from Autosupplies but they seem very dear, unless prices drop considerably with quantity.

Reply to
Doki

I get my paint from Davmac Refinishing. Paint _is_ expensive. I once had some delivered through a friend's trade account and it cost the same as buying it in the depot.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

It perhaps depends on which Fittapart depot you use: I've tried the Derby one three times, and each time the staff have been ill-informed and off-hand, and their prices sky-high. Never again.

Reply to
Autolycus

I'll have to see what they want for some then. I know paint is dear, but others reckon Autosupplies is dearer than others.

Reply to
Doki

Is that like for like? Not all paint is the same quality - even if of the same type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

TBH, I couldn't be 100% sure. The bloke who told me is an engineer rather than a car painter, and the most cosmetically important painting will be on landys which get a pretty hard life... I know the stuff Autosupplies flog is Spies Hecker.

Reply to
Doki

a.n.other

Ah, well I live just two miles from the Mansfield branch which is staffed by the incomparable Martin Mosley. He's the guy to speak to. Mark is fairly good too, and more usually found at Derby.

Reply to
Chris Bolus