Brake drum removal - Citroen AX 1.5D 1995

I love my AX, but I *will* be setting fire to it sometime this week if I can't get the sodding brake drums off. They're turning freely but the shoes apear to be holding them on from inside - presumably there's a lip around the inner edge of the drum and they're catching.

I've tried what it says in the Haynes manual (back up the handbrake adjuster nut so there's as much slack in the cable as possible, then stick a screwdriver through a wheel bolt hole, and push the handbrake operating lever until the stop peg slips beneath the back of the brake shoe, causing the brake shoes to retract). It's not working - I'm trying to do it as per the diagram, it all looks right, but the handbrake operating lever isn't moving one iota.

HELP!!!!

It can't be that bloody difficult because the garage that serviced it a couple of weeks back managed to get them off without comment.

(Yes, I have taken the nut and the thrust washer off.)

Reply to
Nick Dobb

Hahahahahahaha. I have just put on my war paint and my feathers, picked up my hatchet, daubed the blood (OK, grease) of my fallen enemy upon my chest, and conducted a mighty war dance around the brake drums of my enemy which have fallen to the dirt.

(Translation: they're off. Just a question of brute force and bloody mindedness.)

Reply to
Nick Dobb

I was going to suggest to just smack them hard.

Reply to
gazzafield

I've found the easiest way on my one was to use a large puller. Had it off nice and smooth.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Use a slide hammer.

sponix