Brake Fluid change

Is there any reason not to do a brake fluid change? My usual mechanic reckons it's much more trouble that it's worth (presumably seized bleed nipples). OTOH, I don't really like the idea of several years old brake fluid in my car...

Reply to
doki

No. Brake fluids, apart from silicone based ones, are hygroscopic. I,e it absorbs water. Over a period of time this can cause corrosion, apart from the possibility of braking problems, if the brakes get hot enough to boil the water content.

2 years is almost universally recognised as the maximum interval between brake fluid changes.

My usual mechanic

Get yourself another mechanic. One that understands the importance of changing it. Especially if you intend to keep the car for any length of time. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It's the default, not the maximum, many cars specify more than 2 years.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Confession time here. I've never changed brake fluid on any of my cars (ok on the Citroens I've changed the hydraulic fluid once). I can't honestly say I've ever noticed any deterioration in braking performance and they all passed MOTs with work needed to other parts not the brakes.

Not that I'm saying you're wrong, maybe I've been lucky.

Reply to
Malc

next time your are behind me, wave a Blue flag and I'll let you pass. That way you will keep any no claims bonus you have........or may be you don't

Reply to
Martin

Is your braking performance obviously lacking? I don't think Brake Fluid just fails suddenly.

I've only been party to fluid changing on 2 or 3 cars. At least some bleed nipples have broken on all occasions.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

That doesn't mean that in those cars the fluid stays in good condition longer. Car brake systems all work in the same way, so 2 years is a better figure to work on IMO, regardless of what the manufacturer recommends. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It doesn't under normal circumstances, but heavy braking from a high speed. Maybe downhill as well, 'might' get old fluid hot enough to cause fade, and reduce braking efficiency. I'd rather change the fluid and avoid that possibility.

That's always a possibility, but IMO not a very good reason for neglecting to carry out safety related maintenance. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Depends how long you want to keep the car - there's no doubt that old fluid can corrode your system from the inside out (because of moisture absorbtion in the fluid).

You probably wouldn't notice a deterioration over time - however you might well find that if you did change the fluid you'd notice a marked improvement.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

It depends on the type of fluid, not the car.

Seconded.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Its the guy that gets the car after you that will have the probs. The moisture in the brake fluid will lead to corrosion then to leaking . . . at least thats my theory.

Reply to
rivenglo

Brake fluid should be changed every two years.

Reply to
Conor

Malc ( snipped-for-privacy@ubht.swest.nhs.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I have had watery brake fluid boil. It is *not* fun, trust me on this.

I have had to replace wheel cylinders that have had seized/sheared nipples because they have not been opened in god knows how many years.

I have also had to replace wheel cylinders and master cylinders that have rusted internally because somebody decided to ignore the recommendation to change the fluid every other year.

I'll change the fluid regularly, thanks.

Reply to
Adrian

Agreed.

A no brainer for the sake of a few quid

Reply to
Martin

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Malc" saying something like:

Sure; the brakes will work fine on a day in, day out basis, but come the time when you really need them to work for an extended period, as the pedal sinks to the floor you might just wish you'd changed the fluid.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The time you're most likely brake heavily is in an emergency, and those are the times when you really don't want problems with your brakes. Also if you crashed due to the brake fluid not being changed the insurance company may not pay out. When you see 'My brakes wouldn't work' they'll probably want to find out why.

IIRC there is also a risk of the brake parts rusting, which can cause a sudden total failure of the system.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

What are the symtoms of that? I once had a Landcruiser which scared me when the brakes "vanished" while towing a caravan through the Peak District, only to return later. I never did discover what caused it. It only happened twice, but that, as you say, was not fun.

Just had to replace a caliper on the Omega for just this reason. I have less problems with most 40-year old cars!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

My mechanic seemed to think that too.

That's what happened when I changed my fluid a few weeks ago. It only cost me a fiver to replace a rear brake cylinder though.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Umm... pretty much the main symptom is that ... the brakes vanish.

Reply to
PC Paul

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@FARINAb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

In my case, I found the most obvious symptom was a scream of "OH, FUCK, NO BRAKES!"

Could very well have been.

Reply to
Adrian