Brake Fluid change and ABS

Hi

I have used this group before and have been very impressed with the answers given they have helped me learn a lot of useful information. I have a Hyundai Getz CDX, Reg 03 and have a general maintenance query. The car is due to finish its warranty this year and i would like to do all maintenance myself. I have had non ABS cars before and have used standard methods ie a one way valve kit to change the brake fluid on all these cars with no problems. This car has ABS and i am unsure as to how you go about changing the fluid on this system. The user manual has no clues and the dealer predictably says i need to book it in at a cost of =A390 just to change the fluid and they wont tell me how they do it. Ridiculous. There is no Haynes manual for this car and i cant find a workshop manual on the internet either. Can anyone shed any light on whether i can change the fluid myself using the standard method as above?. If so are there any precautions i need to take this being an ABS system? Please as i do not want to line the dealers pockets any more when half they jobs they do they dont do properly, ie "not screwing the oil filter on correctly during the last service causing oil to leak out."

If anyone can provide insight id be truely grateful.

Thanks in advnace

Damian T

Reply to
DTS

[...]

"DTS" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... Hi

I have used this group before and have been very impressed with the answers given they have helped me learn a lot of useful information. I have a Hyundai Getz CDX, Reg 03 and have a general maintenance query. The car is due to finish its warranty this year and i would like to do all maintenance myself. I have had non ABS cars before and have used standard methods ie a one way valve kit to change the brake fluid on all these cars with no problems. This car has ABS and i am unsure as to how you go about changing the fluid on this system. The user manual has no clues and the dealer predictably says i need to book it in at a cost of £90 just to change the fluid and they wont tell me how they do it. Ridiculous. There is no Haynes manual for this car and i cant find a workshop manual on the internet either. Can anyone shed any light on whether i can change the fluid myself using the standard method as above?. If so are there any precautions i need to take this being an ABS system? Please as i do not want to line the dealers pockets any more when half they jobs they do they dont do properly, ie "not screwing the oil filter on correctly during the last service causing oil to leak out."

If anyone can provide insight id be truely grateful.

Thanks in advnace

Damian T

I had the same problem on a sierra years ago but can't remember the exact procedure now. I wouldn't be paying £90 either. On mine the ABS pump had to be active, the ignition on and then the fluid topped up as a mate pushed his foot on the pedal. It ended up taking ages to do correctly as the car was objecting at first. Mine had a one way valve kit used on each wheel too. Try a smaller independant garage. Make sure you don't get the brake fluid on your paintwork or over yourself and while you have the car apart give the pads a quick check.

Reply to
brian

"DTS" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@d30g2000prg.googlegroups.com... Hi

[...]

Provided you make sure you don't introduce air into the ABS modulator (ie. by letting the reservoir run dry), then it's just a case of bleeding it like you would any other brake system. Should you get air into the ABS modulator, only then does bleeding become problematic (you need to activate each ABS valve in turn while you bleed the corresponding brake)

Reply to
moray

Whilst the ABS system on a Hyundai Coupe could well be entirely different from your Getz the service manual for the former suggests no particular method has to be employed:

Of course, this may be of no relevence but just in case...

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton