Brake fluid on brake pads ruined?

I know if you get brake fluid on brake shoes your supposed to bin them? Is this the same for brake pads?

Reply to
Jack Johnson

Yes and in fact even more so as the front brakes do 75% of the work.

Reply to
Conor

That and pads are so cheap, even if you're 99% sure they're ok, change them anyway - they're quite important...

Reply to
Iridium

I once had a flexi hose burst at the front of one of my old cars. I went to one of the fast fit places through desperation. Bloke says, "You're going to need new pads and discs, as the brake fluid has contaminated them." I asked him how the fluid could contaminate a solid steel disc, answer to which was "Er, I'll give the discs a clean.." Fecking chancers!

Reply to
Kenny

Dead easy, if you brake on it before you clean it. I don't know the chemistry, but the stuff burns on as a lacquer and won't shift.

_If_ you've got a runway handy and a clean set of pads, then a dose of braking will take it off in time -- but don't do this on a road, you've got asymmetric front brakes and you very likely will spin it.

Silicone Dot 5 fluid is a bastard to remove from disks. I don't think this is possible by braking action.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Welcome to wire wool.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Never tried DOT5 but had 5.1 (non-silicone) on my pads a few times through sheer laziness during working on the car - as you say, providing you get it off the discs and pads fairly quick you're usually ok just being cautious for a few miles - though I normally take a flat piece of wood and a fairly coarse sandpaper to the pad surface to remove the residue.

Reply to
Coyoteboy