Brake judder - warped disc?

My Skoda Octavia has recently started to 'judder' a bit while braking. Is this likely to be warped discs? If so, can I check to see if they are warped before buying new ones? Anything else to check for? FWIW, it ws MOT'd last month with no faults, so I'm presuming there is no lubricant/muck getting onto the discs. Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

YOu can check for runout with a dial guage. Unless they'rer obviously badly worn it's more likely to be the suspension bushes going soft though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Mine went when first braking hard on a very cold morning. Almost instantaneous. No guarantee that applies to yours of course.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Quite likely. I have known warping to be visible as dark/light bands on the disc associated with overheating. The runout gauge is the true test but spinning it while holding a screwdriver against the caliper body and letting the tip skim the disc may give you an indication. Check disc thickness, if they're very near or below minimum then change them anyway and see if the juddering goes.

Reply to
Vim Fuego