Brake lights come on when clutch pedal is used

Hi

My Pegueot 306 1997 "R" reg has started doing something weird. When I depress the clutch pedal the brake lights (left, right, and middle) flick on and then off.

At first I thought maybe a bit of debris was trapped between the clutch pedal and was pushing on the foamy "button" that the brake pedal pushes against, which causes the brake lights to appear. No such luck though. Nothing is catching on this at all.

There is no set "position" that I can hold the clutch at, to cause the brake lights to stay on. They simply flash on and then off.

My logic suggests that the cable that goes from under the brake pedal to the break lights has somehow slipped out of place, and the clutch pedal when depressed is completeing the circuit. However this logic is failed because I cannot find a set point at which the brake lights will stay "on" using the clutch.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Reply to
~Gifted~

The car may have a clutch switch (so the ECU knows when the pedal's pressed, so it can alter revs or something).

If there's a fault with the ECU, or a capacitative short somewhere, that's getting confused with a short tap on the brake pedal.

Does the brake light flash happen at the same point of the clutch pedal travel?

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Thanks for your reply.

Nope. The brake light flashes at various points of clutch pedal travel which is why diagnosis is quite difficult. Sometimes the flash occurs at the very beginning of travel, other times it may be as much as half way through its full travel before the flash.

Reply to
~Gifted~

Disconnect the brake switch and try again, also check the wires are completely insulated ?

Graham

Reply to
Graham

The brake pedal switch probably needs adjusting. Does the brake light come on with the slightest touch of the brake pedal

John

Reply to
John