brake pads and discs: which make?

Hello,

Just as it has started to get cold outside, it's time to change my brake pads. Why can't these things wear out in the summer ;)

I have a 60 plate Mondeo. Looking at eurocarpart's web site they sell Pagid, Eicher, TRW, ATE, Textar, and Bosch pads for my car. So which of these are good makes, which are budget, and which are ones to avoid?

My other option is to buy from the dealer but that is twice the price of some of those listed above. I don't mind paying twice as much if they are twice the quality. Are the Ford ones superior or are they one of the above re-badged? Or is one of the above better than Ford?

I am open to looking at a different make from a different supplier, if you can recommend any other web site to purchase from?

I knew that the pads were low and it's my own fault for not doing this sooner, but the rear pad is really quite worn so I need to change it ASAP. It looks like it has scored the disc last night. So I want to get everything changed in the next day or two. Should I change the disc too. How scored does it have to be to warrant changing the disc?

Back on eurocarparts they sell Pagid, Eicher, and Bosch. Which of these is best or shall I go to Ford? Perhaps one of these is better than Ford?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Eicher are a made up ECP brand with crap chinky bits in the box.

Any of the others'll be ok.

Reply to
Scott M

What he said.

Reply to
SteveH

Agreed.

TRW used to be a good brand, but I've come across some of their bits being crap.

I'd go Bosch for almost anything, if there's a chance, because I like the fact they're one of those rare things, an ethical corporation.

ATE are one of the most common OEM manufacturers, Textar and Pagid both good solid aftermarket brands.

Reply to
Adrian

It's funny, while I like and rate Bosch stuff highly, I've never thought of them as doing friction materials. Must be a new bit.

Reply to
Scott M

Bendix were bought by Allied Signal in the '80s. Bosch bought Allied Signal in the '90s.

BUT... Bosch brakes aren't actually part of Bosch any more...!

Adrian

How much life's left in the disc?

How scored? If it's in one spot, less of a worry, if the whole thing's starting to feel like an LP, be a shame to mash up the new pads.

Reply to
Scott M

I find it strange that an ethical corp are involved with the Scuderi engine and very unethical Scuderi family.

Peter Hill

I fitted Mintex discs and pads all round on a mondeo in february, they were 120 quid for both ends from a car shop, Ford parts would probably be nearly double.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks for the fast replies.

I didn't know that about Bosch. Very interesting. By coincidence I've got Bosch power tools, washing machine, dishwasher, etc. so I'm pleased I'm a customer of a good company; like you say they are a rare thing.

ECP gives the price of Bosch pads as £40 and £54. Strange how the rear cost more than the front. Ford are doing an offer whereby they will sell pads for £63 and £44, so the prices are not dissimilar. I wonder who makes the Ford ones?

Will bear Pagid in mind if cannot get either of these.

When it comes to discs, ECP only sell Bosch rears (but that's ok, its the rear I need) but they cost £38. From what I could see from a quick look on the Internet, Ford charge £100 per disc, so I doubt I'll be buying from Ford!

Thanks again, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I didn't know that. Thanks: that was just the pointer I was looking for. I think it's always important not only to know what brands to buy, but also to know which brands not to buy. I'll make sure I avoid them in the future. Always good to buy (or not buy) based on personal recommendation.

I might try to get Bosch today so that I can fit them today, rather than wait for Ford to open tomorrow. Failing that, there's always halfords. I wonder what they're like?

Reply to
Stephen

As long as the pads meet eu standards (which all of ECP products do) you have nothing to worry about.

All pads have different wear and braking characteristics, generally the cheaper units will wear far quicker and have less stopping power especially in wet wether.

The mid range will last longer probably have better stopping power better in wet weather

The top of the range products probably fall into two catorgaries those that are very long lasting having similar stopping power to the mid range and those that wear at a faster rate but have the best stopping power.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Assuming your Mondao is just a bog standard car and your not into high milage or high speed driving any of the pads will be fine

Reply to
steve robinson

Bwahahahahahaha...

Oh, wait. You're serious? Deargawd.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, hence the rest of the post which you decided to snip which gave a breif but simple explanation.

If your low milage just tottering around town at low speeds then any eu approved pad for your particular model / make of vehicle will suffice

I certainly wouldnt stick the cheap and chearful brands on my vehicles but then i do high milage and travel at high speeds carrying heavy loads (in the van anyway) so i need a better quality of pad co i stick to pagid bembro or ebc preference being ebc from that range

Reply to
steve robinson

I just drive from A to B, so although I'm not a boy racer, I suppose good wet braking and best stopping power are something I would pay extra for, within reason. What makes do you think fall into this category?

Reply to
Stephen

It's only just happened. It is one groove in roughly the centre of the disc, centre as in half way between the top and the bottom; not the hole in the middle!

Reply to
Stephen

I tend to go for ATE who are one of the OEM suppliers. Never had a problem with them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well now I am confused and don't know what to do!

My own fault for leaving it to the last minute but now I am finding that most places are closed on Sundays.

Halfrauds say they don't hold anything in stock and it must be ordered.

Didn't think to look at GSF because my car isn't German, Swedish, or French but I see they sell Vetec, Brembo, and Bendix. What are these like? From what was said above are Bosch and Bendix the same?

It's all academic as GSF are closed today ;(

Another one that's closed sells Apec, Ferodo, and Trupart. I've heard of Ferodo; last I heard they were considered quite good. Is that still true? What of Apec and Trupart?

I have phone the independents who are open and I've a collection of makes: motor-something by Peugot Talbot Mintec Quinten hazel (shop said this is a budget brand) Comline Delphi

Of those, I have heard of Mintec but can't quite remember why. Sorry to have listed so many makes. Some posters have replied they all meet a minimum standard, so perhaps I should not worry to much and just get on and fit them, but I don't mind paying a little more for something better. It is brakes after all and I think like, tyres, they are quite important.

Reply to
Stephen

I personally would use ebc or bembro in that case but they will cost more

EBC will cost around £30.00 for an oem set spec , about £45 for the green pads which out perform the oem or up to around £65.00 a set for the yellow stuff high performance track and street pads .

They do do others but these a strictly for track racing and not suitable for using on the road

Reply to
steve robinson

Hello,

I think I must have misheard the man on the phone. I thought he said Mintec. Assuming it's the same brand, he quoted me £69.99 for a set of rear discs, which ties in with your £120 for front and back.

The Mintex pads are £39.99 front and £29.99 rear so dearer than many of the other brands mentioned (Halfords was really cheap for Pagid) but less than Ford and Bosch, so I guess it is all relative.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen