Braking Problem

Dont think I've posted this one before:

Nissan Primera, 1994, 2.0Litre SGX Automatic.

My brakes are making a grinding noise. This usually only happens after the car has warmed up believe it or not - try as I might, I cannot get the brakes to grind after first start.

Typical scenario, after 10 to 20 minutes of driving, I apply the brakes and hear a grinding noise, all the way to stop. Sounds like a tyre rubbing on the bumper.

I've taken all four wheels off, and the brake pads still have half the thickness left on the front, but the brake discs have some lipping. We're only talking of a milimetre, if that. No scoring, no holes where a pad has worn through to the other side :-)

And I can't fathom it out. Is it just that the pads need replacement? I thought they lasted longer. Is the minimal lipping a problem?

Also, my ABS warning light came on yesterday. It was flashing intermittently. But it only appeared to happen after I went through a 'puddle' - it was basically where the stupid bastard road engineers thought "OH, that's a great place to put a speed bump, I know its on a slope with no drain holes, and all the water will gather into the corner on the left, but I dont think its going to rain, do you?"

But the ABS was flashing intermittently, and everytime I came to stop, the brake pedal was kicking back at me. A unnerving experience.

Driving home from work, and there was no problem what so ever - apart from the grinding.

Any ideas what I could look for? Im just thinking about changing the pads and shims at the moment on the front - then discs a possibility if upon closer inspection they are severly worn.

Of course, could it be a tyre? Could it be bearings?

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Try just using the handbrake hard when the noise is present. Might help identify if it's coming from the front or back. It could just be some form of squeal which some brakes are prone to.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

"How's life Norm?" "Not for the squeamish, Coach" (Cheers, 1982)

Reply to
Dave Baker