Break lights and reverse lights

Hi All

I have a Vauxhall Astra (2001) Estate 1.6 with 2 problems that maybe linked or may not be, but i cant fix so far.

1 - Reverse light does not come on, changed blub still same is there a fuse for this ? cant see one listed in the book.

2 - Break lights, the rear 2 break lights dont come on (blubs ok) but the one on the boot panel does work ok, so i guess its not a fuse problem any ideas ?

Both faults seem to have appeard in the past week.

Thanks

Reply to
systemtek

Is that one of the cars with a row of spring loaded contacts that the hatch closes onto?

If the contacts are dirty, or covered with something when the door closes, that could cause it.

Reply to
PCPaul

Brake lights.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Obviously broken.

Reply to
SteveH

And the blubs?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what happens when you buy them from the petrol station.

Reply to
Tom Burton

A Tom Hanks, Carrie Fisher film wasn't it?

Reply to
Dave Baker

may be an earth fault affecting all three, but not especially likely. I would rig up a power and earth lead that I knew had power and earth for sure (like straight from the battery) and use those to prove the bulbs can light in situ. It is then not too hard to work out which doesn't work (earth or power) My expectation would be that the bulbs have failed (sorry) or that the wrong bulbs are in there or that you may have checked the wrong bulbs in the cluster.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Corrosion in the contacts? Lost earth connection (although that usually shows up with funny symptoms when indicating). Get a voltmeter, failing that check for power reaching the cluster with a 12 volt bulb on a couple of test leads

Reply to
Newshound

Hi,

I have checked the bulbs and even replaced them and they are ok. Also i have checked the contacts both sides and removed and refitted also. I will check for earth problems as suggested tomorrow, but the other lights on the panel work ok (indicator, fog lights etc) i will have to see how the other breake light connects up the one on the boot that actually works, it prob feeds the others or the others feed that not sure will have to get the meter out tomorrow and take another look. I guess it could be the reverse light switch thats gone also as suggested, possible just fluke that both faults were found same week or even same time.

Thanks

Reply to
systemtek

Oi! Please attribute misspellings to the correct author...

Reply to
PCPaul

Oh no not again. It's BRAKE

BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE

Reply to
Mark