breather problems

I drive a peugeot 205 1.6 gti.

I do a lot of town driving and the breather is always getting clogged. Hence I need to clean it every few days.

Recently, I noticed that the breather was much cleaner, and noticed that there was a small split in the narrow pipe that connects the oil filler cap to the throttle housing. The car runs well.

I was thinking of repairing the split, then making a hole a bit further down in this pipe to a more convenient point, then connecting this hole to a new pipe and hang it close to the bottom of the engine (to vent the gas to the atmosphere - rather than the engine compartment).

Do you think this will work alright.

I want to do this because at the moment some gas must be vented into the engine compartment and might leak into the cab (although the cab is isolated from the engine, and the bottom of the engine is open to the atmosphere.)

thanks

sp

Reply to
not_here.5.species8350

You should renew the pipe. Then there wont be any venting into the engine bay. If the breather is easily clogged, find out why and then fix it. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The breather is easily clogged because I do a lot of low speed town driving - notorious for causing breathing problems with 205gti's

I wanted to make this addition to avoid the constant cleaning of the breather.

Has my idea any disadvantages that you can see. Bear in mind that all I am proposing is to effectively move the split from one end of the pipe to closer to the other end of the same pipe. Then vent the gas to the atmosphere via the road, rather to the engine compartment.

The car runs well with the split, no sign of a mixture problem.

Thanks

sp.

ps. Your comment about replacing the pipe is the option that I would, of course, go for if my journeys were more varied, or longer

All the best

sp

Reply to
species8350

That's more or less what I said in alt.autos.peugeot. He didn't listen then.

Reply to
Malc

I am investigating possibilities.

I did read your post

Why have you bothered to make this unhelpful comment

sp.

Reply to
species8350

Because you don't seem to be listening. Besides which cleaning and renewing the breather pipes and taking the car for a good long fast run will do more good than an unnecessary addition to the system which may (and I could be wrong) upset the air flow into the engine. All this talk of venting the system under the car is completely unnecessary, if it was any good then Mr Peugeot would all ready have done it.

Reply to
Malc

The message from "species8350" contains these words:

I thought it was very helpful - if true it saves the rest of us wasting time on you. If untrue you'll explain what you've done since the suggestion.

Reply to
Guy King

I have considered renewing the breather pipes but I know from previous experince that because of my driving patterns that they tend to get clogged very easily. I tend not to make long runs, but when I have done this it seems to make little difference

The existing split appears to make no difference to the way the car runs, but it does run much cleaner (breather much cleaner).

A number of people have told me that they regard the Peugeot breathing system as being badly designed and it often causes problems. Also people do have different driving patterns and the original system may have been designed to take into account the average driver.

Many people do modify their cars in a number of ways, and for a number of different reasons.

At present, I am thinking about the options, including a straight repair. I am posting to see what other people recommend, then I will be in a better position to judge the best course of action. I have made no decision so far

Best wishes

sp.

ps. I am listening and gathering information, your views are clear

Reply to
species8350

Is there a clogged flame trap somewhere? Some cars have a gauze or sandwich of wire mesh in the rocker cover leading into the breather pipe.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

There is a wire mesh in the breather cap (oil filler cap). Your quite right, this does get clogged. Some people have suggested to me that it is best to discard this gauze because it always gets clogged, and the engine runs much better without it..

I haven't heard the term 'flame trap' before what does it mean?

Thanks for responding

Best wishes

sp.

PS. I wonder if there is another gauze in the rocker cover as well. Probably not, but I'll check it out when I get the time.

Reply to
species8350

I'm generally into older cars than this, so may be behind the times. My understanding is that if you had a build up of unburnt fuel mixing in with the oil (which can happen for various unhealthy reasons), an engine backfire could send a flame through the breather pipes with rather noisy consequences. So rather than just an open pipe, from the rocker cover straight into the air cleaner or inlet manifold, there'd be a trap of some sort to prevent a flame getting though.

I'm quite ready to be corrected on this!

There was on Vauxhall engines in the eighties and they often got clogged. I've not come across the problem since then.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Wow,

Glad I have not experinced that

My cars 1989

thanks for the info

Best wishes

Sp.

Reply to
species8350

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Malc" saying something like:

Lots of ShiteOLdCars used to vent the fumes to the road, but that was stopped years ago. All those millions of gallons of oil on the roads didn't help anyone and the fumes themselves contributed a lot to the pollution load.

Acceptable enough for a temp fix would be to simply stick the open end of the hose into a catch bottle.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon