Broken glow plug

I was attempting to change the glow plugs on my 1999 Mondeo and one of them broke off. The threaded section has come out with the element leaving the powder filled casing. I vainly tried to suck it out with a hoover and succeeded in cleaning all the powder out. I am now left with the hollow element casing presumably trapped by carbon deposits.

How tight do you think it is? Can I chance tapping a thread into it and pulling it out with studding? The car runs very well although the starting is poor. Will it become more stuck the longer I leave it?

My plan is to leave it for a while, try tapping it. Insert the studding, spray with plus gas to try to loosen it. Secure the studding to the engine block, drive for a few days then try to extract using the studding. Please tell me if you think this is mad.

Reply to
JimWestern

Well carefully drilling it should grab it & lett you pull it out, I doubt the walls thick enough for a tap. But there's always a possibility of it coming out & then you've got a hole, try your local recon shop, they can normally get the remains out for less than the head gasket cost.

Reply to
Duncan Wood